Garage floor tiles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They may be £10psm to buy, but then add the cost of adhesive and grout! I used a 2 pack epoxy garage floor paint on my garage floor, having waited the appropriate time for the new concrete base to settle, smelly PITA to paint on but it did the job superbly whether the cars were put away dry or wet.

How much did it cost to do the 2 pack epoxy garage floor paint? Does it cover minor ridges imperfections or does a floor levelling compound need to go down first?

Sorry Rockits, can't answer as it was about 20+ years ago when I finally - and at the old house - had a double garage built to replace the carport. IIRC it does not cover minor ridge imperfections, but that was never a problem in the 10 years I had my decent garage. It was certainly water and oil proof, we had a few spills in the time I had that garage and they cleaned off easily. As I said, my main memory of the paint is the smell while rollering it on, thankfully I had a 16ft door at the front and opening windows side and back, so had good ventilation - but it still stank while rollering the paint on!

My 2 part epoxy has been down nearly 20 years , a few 50mm holes due to heat from the tyres , otherwise as new. Trick is to lay it asap , pot life after mixing is about 20 mins. A few videos on YouTube, pour it out , and with a long handled roller spread it over the floor.
Only drawback - floor needs to be mopped after the car's been out in the rain. When the concrete floor was laid my builder was asked to slope it into the centre and front to back so that the water would run to the door, didn't quite manage to get it spot on.

Last edited:
Some might think this is odd but I’ve got two garages attached to the house, one was built with the house and the second added on by the first owner. I made a door access between both garages.
Up until recently I had two classic cars sitting in them and on the floor I have fitted carpets complete with underlay.
My wife always seemed to want a new carpets in the house and one had to be replaced due to flood damage when it was just a few months old so rather than toss them out I’ve got them tailor fitted in the garage. BTW my son also has one fitted to his (man cave) garage courtesy of his mum.
They’ve now been in my garage for several years and the car tyres sit on pieces of laminate flooring plus I have plastic trays ( large garden grow bag trays) sitting under the cars to catch any oil drips.
One of the classics has gone and my SL sits there now and I’ve yet to see any damage due to the car going out & in plus I’ve still got the laminate flooring strategically placed.
Both garage floors sit approx two inches above ground level so I don’t suffer from any dampness entering and the carpets are cut short by a foot inside the door.
I’ve also got carpet runners which I power wash occasionally placed where I’m walking inside the garages.

I do get some funny looks when I’m hoovering the garage floors !

I've now sold the 600 carpet tiles I had acquired that I can now justify using that cash to get my garage floor done.

My current thinking is for the PVC interlocking tiles although likely the most expensive. A few things that are helping me. They are re-usable in a sense as can be lifted and re-sited in a different location if needed easily. Something I am thinking of in the background. You can't easily do that with ceramic or porcelain tiles. Also paint or epoxy might be an issue doing the same ;)

Also to add some design or colour or patten or maybe some car badge/logos would be a nice touch.

All done at last. Really pleased with the results
58c426688daf5de0ddcbbcca51076438.jpg

Might put some of those brushes on the bottom of the doors if only to help keep the leaves out.

Looks very nice. I put tiles mentioned first page and I'm not happy about them. As someone mentioned before, they move and are not 100% flat. If I was doing it again, I would probably put porcelain tiles. Easier to wash and not moving.

I bit the bullet 20 years ago and had the double garage floor screed-ed and tiled. My friend imports tiles and found me a car dealer spec tile that would not chip or crack with the weight of a car or the side stand of a bike.

Never regretted it. my driveway slopes downhill the garage and on the very rare occasion we get a flash flood that my Acco drains can't cope with you just sweep the residual water away. The tiles are easy to clean and you can slide under the car on a trolley to clean those hard to reach parts. If you are staying put for a while and you spend time in your garage this is a great investment.

The floor is always covered in cars and bike, but here a shot of the floor shortly after it was completed featuring my first Aprilia RSVR.
group 7 150.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom