garage heating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It depends how airtight the garage is and its method of construction. A draughty garage will need a higher capacity/bigger dehumidifier than a well sealed/insulated one.
Its desirable to acheive an RH of around 30% or thereabouts in a garage to achieve the desired objectives.
Read this for more info......
http://www.blueflame.org/datasheets/humidity.html

I think the first step is to get a plasterer in to insulate and dry line the walls to make the place like a proper room...??

Cellotex foam board is your friend. Look on ebay there is usually loads going cheap.

You can simply pin insulated boards to the outside walls to achieve that effect. Use a lower U value board as possible. Thats IF its required. It may already be insulated to home standards if its part of your home or attached. Dont forget the floor and ceilings are large areas as well. Easy to insulate the ceiling, but not the floor, although you can buy special floor tiles that remove the cold touch effect.

You can get heavy duty foam for floors. Lay it and stick plywood down as a new floor or screed over it.

well from 2 mins plugging in some heaters to spending a weekend nailing foam to my walls... you guys could cause a divorce..

well from 2 mins plugging in some heaters to spending a weekend nailing foam to my walls... you guys could cause a divorce..

Surely it will be one of those shared moments...

Buy her a hammer for Christmas..

Something like this perhaps?

"Activair enhanced safety industrial fan heaters have low surface temperature elements which will not ignite the dust, and have been tested and approved in accordance with Semko 111FF-1987 for 'use in premises that entail a risk of fire'.

http://www.tombling.com/heaters/enhanced-safety-fan-heaters.htm

anything that has "click for a quote" usually means its very expensive.!

Why not take a tapping from the central heating system, (if handy). You could get any amount of largish cheap radiators from Wickes or B&Q and fit a TRV to each one, set the stats to something like say the equivalent of 5 to 10 degs and away you go.

Portzy.

Tubular heaters available in 5 different sizes on www.bdctrade.co.uk. You need to open an account to view prices or:-
45w £10.99 (3+ £9.99)
80w £11.99 (3+ £10.99)
135w £14.99 (3+ £13.99)
180w £16.99 (3+ £15.99)
270w £19.99 (3+ £18.99)
interconnectors £4.19 (3+ £3.99)
all plus VAT
Last time i was on their website they also had dimplex panel heaters 0.75kw at £16.99 +VAT
The company is in administration so they are currently clearing stock. Your nearest brance is probably Birmingham tel 0844 8730505

Last edited:
This is the best bet, only 2Kw so can plug into normal socket. Control it with a timer to come on 15 minutes every 2 or 3 hours. It wont heat the garage up at that but it will keep it drier and wont break the bank
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEALEY-2kW-INDUSTRIAL-FAN-HEATER-230V_W0QQitemZ260332232137QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air?hash=item260332232137&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Tubular heaters available in 5 different sizes on www.bdctrade.co.uk. You need to open an account to view prices or:-
45w £10.99 (3+ £9.99)
80w £11.99 (3+ £10.99)
135w £14.99 (3+ £13.99)
180w £16.99 (3+ £15.99)
270w £19.99 (3+ £18.99)
interconnectors £4.19 (3+ £3.99)
all plus VAT
Last time i was on their website they also had dimplex panel heaters 0.75kw at £16.99 +VAT
The company is in administration so they are currently clearing stock. Your nearest brance is probably Birmingham tel 0844 8730505

I've got a calor gas heater for working in the garage, it is rated at a max of 4200w & is barely enough for a double garage as long as it is above freezing outside. I reckon you would need 200 of these tubular heaters to take the chill out of the air in a garage your size.

Russ

I've got a calor gas heater for working in the garage, it is rated at a max of 4200w & is barely enough for a double garage as long as it is above freezing outside. I reckon you would need 200 of these tubular heaters to take the chill out of the air in a garage your size.

Russ

That was exactly my thought too - a 1200 sq ft stand alone garage would take an immense amount of heating. I think all you could hope to do is have some personal heating such as a fan heater or a halogen heater directed at yourself while working in there. And something to isolate you from the cold floor.

A plumbed-in dehumidifier is the answer

Bear in mind that traditional dehumidifiers don't work too well at low temperatures so you may need a little bit of background heating to make them work

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

I fitted these to a warehouse in fife they did'nt want heating all the time but the option of localised heating

http://www.flexel.org.uk/installer/installer-cassettes.php

The only problem is height
THEY MUST BE AT LEAST 3.5M ABOVE FLOOR LEVEL

Fitted four of them in a area about 35m x24m and the heat output was unbelieveable Did the wiring in wolly hats and gloves but once they were switched on it was totally different shorts tee shirts (i wish)

Jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom