Garage LED light issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
Any one work out what I am doing wrong?

I have bought 2 x 4ft LED strip lights. The units are allegedly 40w, 175-265v 50/60mhz.

I have simply disconnected an old 240v florescent strip and made good the new connections (blue to blue, Brown to black, no earth on the new units). Throwing the switch when the first unit was connected produced no result. When I connected the 2nd unit and switched it on the light came on for a fraction of a second then nothing.

So have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance.

The wiring colours on the old florescent don't make sense. In the old system red was live and black was neutral. In the new system brown is live and blue is neutral.

So the connections should have been red to brown and black to blue.

The old switched live wire going into the florescent is a black cable with a brown sleeve. There are 2 blue neutrals. There are 2 other brownish wires going to a chocolate box connector that is taped up. I assume these are permanent lives. There is a neutral that was connected to the old strip. There is no earth on the led so I have terminated it in another chocolate box connector.

Hope that helps.

LED strip lights need a different starter Mattc.
They are usually supplied with the lights

Dumb question;
Did you fit them?

Ah. No. Did not know that. What starter do I need? Will I have fubared the lights by connecting them directly?

Re read box and it says it has internal driver, ballast and starter is not needed

Re read box and it says it has internal driver, ballast and starter is not needed

The old switched live wire going into the florescent is a black cable with a brown sleeve. There are 2 blue neutrals. There are 2 other brownish wires going to a chocolate box connector that is taped up. I assume these are permanent lives. There is a neutral that was connected to the old strip. There is no earth on the led so I have terminated it in another chocolate box connector.

Sounds like they used the old fluorescent to loop through to the next light fitting.

First thing I would do now is test your new led fittings independently of that old circuit using a plug top and length of mains flex. That way you will be 100% certain they are wired correctly and you will discover if they work or not.

Yes, there is a second florescent strip to change on a separate switch.

I will write the new units direct into a plug and see what happens.

My suspicion is they are not as described and need the extra gubbins that Big Janner mentioned

Sounds like they used the old fluorescent to loop through to the next light fitting.

First thing I would do now is test your new led fittings independently of that old circuit using a plug top and length of mains flex. That way you will be 100% certain they are wired correctly and you will discover if they work or not.

So I have got to the bottom of the problem.

The first unit has 2 wires that have come away from their solder points so I will remake them.

The 2nd unit works now; I think originally I may have pushed the wires too far into the connector and screwed the wire sheathing instead of bare wire :wallbash:.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom