Garage plans drawing software

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justin1600

MB Enthusiast
Car
C43 AMG
Hi, i am needing to put planning into the council for my new Garage. Wanting to make it look professional, so if anyone has any good software i could have on a disc or knows anywhere i can download some good software then let me know please :thumb:

Also if anyone who does this sort of thing on a regular basis has any tips or advise, it would be greatly appreciated. As my next door neighbour is a **** and will email a load of lies to the council at the first opportunity, like he did the last two times.

I already have planning permission for the size of garage i require which has two years left on it, for 2.5 metres high with a flat roof. But i need the same size garage but with a pitched roof with a total height of 3.5 metres.

Many Thanks

Google Sketchup is what I'd recommend - free, lots of support out there, plenty of free models & etc and available for Mac & PC

Drawing software has a steep learning curve, 3D software even more so. You have to persevere to get results. Watch the Sketchup Tutorials as they really help

My advice: work at 1:1. Create the floor plan first. Create a guides layer for each wall, put in the guides, build the wall in a wall layer and move on to the next wall. If you have all walls, roof & guides in the same layer it will be impossible to work. Keep everything in its own layer. Make everything square - don't try to model things that are on the piss

Nick Froome

Speak to the council first as your proposal may fall within "permitted development" and you won't need planning permission, just building control. Proximity to the boundary is the deciding factor as well as visual impact.

My view of draughting software is it takes a long time to get proficient enough to do a decent drawing. Good old fashioned pencil and ruler can often do a really nice job and would be more than adequate.

Have to agree with the above comment, it does take a while to get proficient enough with the software, if you do the drawing with pencil and paper, you could always get someone with the software skills to draw it up for you.
If your stuck, I use Autocad 2010 at work, I could knock up the drawing for you from your pencil sketch.

The problem with drawing anything for construction is that it's only after you've finished it you realise that the way you look at things is not the way builders, architects & planners look at things. A sketch on paper with accurate dimensions mght be the best way to go

Nick Froome

Google Sketchup is what I'd recommend - free, lots of support out there, plenty of free models & etc and available for Mac & PC

Drawing software has a steep learning curve, 3D software even more so. You have to persevere to get results. Watch the Sketchup Tutorials as they really help

My advice: work at 1:1. Create the floor plan first. Create a guides layer for each wall, put in the guides, build the wall in a wall layer and move on to the next wall. If you have all walls, roof & guides in the same layer it will be impossible to work. Keep everything in its own layer. Make everything square - don't try to model things that are on the piss

Nick Froome

Thanks Nick :thumb:

Speak to the council first as your proposal may fall within "permitted development" and you won't need planning permission, just building control. Proximity to the boundary is the deciding factor as well as visual impact.

My view of draughting software is it takes a long time to get proficient enough to do a decent drawing. Good old fashioned pencil and ruler can often do a really nice job and would be more than adequate.

The garage would go from boundary to boundary, and is 49.5m squared in size. Already have planning approved for 2.5m high, but i want 3.5m high.

Have to agree with the above comment, it does take a while to get proficient enough with the software, if you do the drawing with pencil and paper, you could always get someone with the software skills to draw it up for you.
If your stuck, I use Autocad 2010 at work, I could knock up the drawing for you from your pencil sketch.

You have a pm Andy :thumb:

Have you thought about just building it and inviting the neighbour round to inspect the underside of the floor slab.

Have you thought about just building it and inviting the neighbour round to inspect the underside of the floor slab.

Good call, maybe i should dig a pit especially for him as you say and invite him round to be even more noisey.
You would not believe the remarks that he wrote to the council :eek::eek::eek: 100% made up garbage :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom