Garage Storage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

Sorry if this sounds really dumb.

My 124 Wagon has recently (three months) undergone a full bare metal re-spray. Now she is kept garaged and dry.

Is it OK to cover her her up with light cotton sheets as dust protection?

I had a very bad experience some years ago with professional car cover that left an imprint of the weave on my paint - that was on a 355 Ferrari. I have no desire to repeat that very expensive journey.

Not sure what lengths you want to goto Bruce but have you seen these massive translucent balloons that you drive your the car into, zip it up and it inflates using a tiny motor?

Not sure of the cost but sounds like just the thing for you.

Not sure what lengths you want to goto Bruce but have you seen these massive translucent balloons that you drive your the car into, zip it up and it inflates using a tiny motor?

Not sure of the cost but sounds like just the thing for you.

I just want a dust cover really. This is a bit too much for my requirements. Looks good though. Thank you.

I would think it depends on the hardness of the final paint finish.

A cotton cover may be OK for those MBs with the 2004? onwards ceramic coatings, but shouldn't you check with the guy in Hastings as to the finish on your re-spray?

Think I would be tempted to leave for a lot longer than 3 months before covering despite what any bodyshop will tell you. Painting garage walls and sealing the floor does help a lot when trying to keep dust at bay though.

Many years ago I sewed 2 bed sheets together to cover up the 190E but it was only partially successful as fine dust just when straight through the weave of the cloth. If I was going to do it again I would use a light weight nylon cover similar to the one I use for my motorcycle.

A good quality indoor cover Bruce, is the garage well sealed from the elements? if not maybe consider a dehumidifier for winter storage...

For covers I use these...(did a great job on my E55:thumb:)
https://www.classicadditions.com/en-GB/car-covers/prodcat_1052

For indoor Dehumidifier I have this, works very well...you can find used examples occasionally on Ebay.

Ruby DRY Portable Dehumidifier Damp Moisture Remover | eBay

Folks

Sorry if this sounds really dumb.

My 124 Wagon has recently (three months) undergone a full bare metal re-spray. Now she is kept garaged and dry.

Is it OK to cover her her up with light cotton sheets as dust protection?

I had a very bad experience some years ago with professional car cover that left an imprint of the weave on my paint - that was on a 355 Ferrari. I have no desire to repeat that very expensive journey.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom