Garden Pond and ice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CE230

Car
230CE
I've been traipsing down the garden to make a hole, using a saucepan of hot water, in the 1" thick ice on the pond in order to ensure there are no trapped gases that may harm the fish.

I've tried a ball in the past but that didn't work, can't use a heater as I have an electrical fault in the garage where the supply is, same reason I can't keep the pump running as I usually do.

Any other suggestions guys?

I keep Japanese koi carp and I use an air pump with a couple of air stones to keep the pond clear of ice. So far its worked fine. Hopefully will upload a couple of pix later. You may have to invest in a long extension lead tho.

Last edited:
The trick is to leave the pump running 24/7 365 days as we usually do.

However we have an underground pipework leak so are in the same position as you and I have been down to the pond with hot water.. :eek:

Our pond is big enough and the leak small enough for me to have left the pump running and trickled a top-up supply from the hosepipe but this didn't happen so I'll have to wait until this freeze is over. :mad:

I'd keep using the hot water to at least let some of the gasses escape.

I keep Japanese koi carp and I use an air pump with a couple of air stones to keep the pond clear of ice. So far its worked fine.

Can't, no electric. :rolleyes:

That float has given me an idea though. I have a polystyrene box with a lid that is about 6" square, fixed to a piece of wood to stop it tipping and a hole in the lid for the gases to escape may be a solution, but it will have to wait until the daughter has taken her bottle of booze out of it that I bought her for Xmas.

Cheers guys

Antifreeze?:D:wallbash:

Or just keep one of these as a pet......

dragon.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom