Gardners advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I wish to grow a climbing plant against the house - yes I know some frown upon the idea of plants and property but there is a good reason.

The wall is north facing so won't get direct sunlight.

There is an existing plastic latticework fastened to the wall for the plant to grow up.

It will be rooted in the ground, not a pot.

I don't want any form of climber that attaches with to the wall, so ivy's are out.

Additionally, it needs to be fast growing and evergreen.

Any ideas please?

I can post a photo of said location if that helps.

Thanks,

Winter Jasmine and Clematis Montana spring to mind.

What are you hiding? :)

Clematis Armandii with the huge glossy leaves.

My clematis are not evergreen although they do cover the fence from early to late summer. The plant finder on the RHA website could solve your problems. It is free and has helped me before.

Winter Jasmine and Clematis Montana spring to mind.

What are you hiding? :)

You lot - they said that in the other side too.

The front of the house is a bit bare and needs something to break it up.

There were two evergreen Jasmine's but they didn't survive the hard winter and grew very slowly, I understand, due to being evergreen.

At a push I could live without the evergreen aspect.

My Jasmine is like a weed, but it too took a battering after the winter - I pruned about 2/3rds of it, it was so vigorous, and that is completely in the shade.

I think clematis sounds ideal and the Armandii is scented, although it does need regular pruning.

If you aren't bothered about the evergreen bit then a Montana would be good. The other alternative is a russian vine but they need controlling.

If you aren't bothered about the evergreen bit then a Montana would be good. The other alternative is a russian vine but they need controlling.

The previous evergreen took ages to grow, but I did want it to look good all year round.

However, if all evergreens are that slow then I'll have to live with the seasonal changes of the faster growers.

My clematis are not evergreen although they do cover the fence from early to late summer. The plant finder on the RHA website could solve your problems. It is free and has helped me before.

Great advice on tachograph analysis too.

Don't grow anything vigorous, it will take over. personally I wouldn't grow anything at all up a house, I ripped our climb-y thing down when we moved in..it had grown into the loft by then.

Don't grow anything vigorous, it will take over. personally I wouldn't grow anything at all up a house, I ripped our climb-y thing down when we moved in..it had grown into the loft by then.

I'm ok with the perils of plants and houses.

There's a large area of brickwork that needs to be broken up and we already have purpose made plastic trellises in place and soil areas formed in the drive.

I just need the appropriate plant for the job.

I'm with Charles. Jasmine is good, pleasant smell, quite vigorous. Needs pruning.

For the unusual, my mother had a wonderful passion fruit growing at the front of her house

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom