Garmin Dashcam Footage Contradicts Notice of Prosecution

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V6GBJ

Car
GLC 43
I have just received a Notice of Prosecution from North Wales Police. The notice quotes the registration number, time and place of offence. I have a clear memory of passing the mobile camera van on the date quoted and at one of their regular spots. I was confident that I had seen the van very early and was monitoring my speed. Upon receiving the notice I checked the footage on my dashcam and found that I still had the video of approaching and passing the camera van as well as footage of my location at the time stated in the notice. According to the dashcam data, I did not exceed the speed limit when approaching or leaving the van location and I was about three miles up the road at the time quoted in the notice.
Could it be that the police data set could be corrupt in some way so that the connection between registration number, time and place of offence were incorrect? Otherwise, might my dashcam be recording incorrect data?
Does anyone have any similar experience?

I'm sure the Police and Courts would just say they can't trust your data so eff off and pay up. You would need rock solid evidence I suspect. Be interesting to see the response if you fight it through Court. If it's anything like parking fines, your options are cough up now, or have your battle in Court. No middle ground.

Can your speed by the police van be calculated from the dashcam footage ?

Could it be that the police data set could be corrupt in some way so that the connection between registration number, time and place of offence were incorrect? Otherwise, might my dashcam be recording incorrect data?
Yes, and Yes, in that order.

The issue you will have is that they will say they are using an Approved Device that was calibrated on xx/xx/xx (date) and that you're not. You would probably have to go to the extent of engaging an Expert Witness to both check out your dashcam, and also analyse the footage - which will be very costly, and even then doesn't guarantee a result in your favour.

What I would suggest is that you join PePiPoo and post up your question there. They have a number of members who are well versed in these things and they will give sound advice.

A conviction is only possible if the evidence is beyond reasonable doubt.. The police device that recorded you must have its calibration checked and must be within tolerance.. I would expect the van to have recorded you and your speed on digital video... if the speed and time are in dispute and you can prove this, there is an element of doubt and the police case may fail. I would take professional advice from a solicitor with your cam footage and follow their advice. You would have to prove the police speed radar was incorrect, and your GPS speed was accurate.. not an easy task.

Just pay up, life's too short.
Unless you have really deep pockets... in which case, just pay up..

I was confident that I had seen the van very early and was monitoring my speed.

Police laser equipment has a range of about a mile and captures your speed in half a second ... you might not have seen the van early enough.

I was confident that I had seen the van very early and was monitoring my speed.
Do you think you were speeding a little before seeing the camera van ?
Or were you below the limit all the time ?

That's probably what they are relying on, the vast majority of people, will just pay up, even if they think they have a good case, doesn't make it right though.
Agree 100%

Some years ago I successfully challenged the correctness of a static camera’s ‘recent calibration’.

Cutting a long story short, it was in the early hours of the morning, in mid-summer, and the photographic evidence showed me to be driving in complete darkness. I provided evidence (from Ordnance Survey) that at the time shown it was in fact daylight. The camera’s clock was an hour out, and the wrong way for it to be a BST/GMT mix-up.

It didn’t go to court, the Police gave up before it got that far...

So the calibration isn’t just for speed, it’s time as well as possibly other factors

The problem you've got with the dashcam footage , if you intend to submit as evidence, is how long a clip do you send them. If you were aware of the location , did you reduce your speed just prior to the van and were exceeding the limit before then ?

The problem you've got with the dashcam footage , if you intend to submit as evidence, is how long a clip do you send them. If you were aware of the location , did you reduce your speed just prior to the van and were exceeding the limit before then ?
The van is there so frequently that it prompts me to be very cautious every time I use that road. An earlier clip shows 35mph for a moment but the van is not visible at that point and a considerable distance away.

An earlier clip shows 35mph for a moment but the van is not visible at that point and a considerable distance away.

As already mentioned the detection range of a laser camera is approx. 1 mile. So if there was a line of sight (i.e. it wasn't round a bend, over the brow of a hill, etc.) you may well have been clocked and unfortunately 35 mph is the normal minimum speed for a fixed penalty (10% + 2 mph over the limit).

The other point is that GPS speed (presumably what your dashcam displays) is only accurate when cruising in a relatively straight line at a steady speed, and is unlikely to be given much credibility compared to a certified/calibrated police device. I've seen a lag of up to 2 secs mentioned for some dashcams when accelerating or decelerating.

I saw 2 revenue earning vans out yesterday in their regular spots, one had moved from the Prestatyn bends along the coast road further away from Prestatyn maybe 3 hours later as I went t'other way.
It's that time of year when the Heddlu seem to want to deter tourists again (I'm not).

I'm interested where they got you that is so dangerous at 35mph (I've no issue with safety related strategies btw).

I got done for 35mph in 30mph zone about 6 weeks ago, they sent me two photos and a video clip plus the calibration cert for the equipment.
It took me less than a minute to plead guilty on line, pay £90 to local council for a 3 hour speed awareness course on line. The course is in mid Sept and if you don't logon within a few minutes of the allotted time they refer your case back to the police. Having no points is far better for your Insurance premium than maybe winning a battle in court with all the time and possible expense that you may incur, even if you win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom