Garmin Map Pilot SD Card Update v8 for Audio 20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scottief

Car
C250d AMG Line
Last weekend I got the SD card out and tried Merc Download Manager to update check my map version and then update it. I left it running and first attempt it foroze at 25%. I then cancelled it and tried again. A few hours later it was stuck at 35% then cancelled again, resumed and this time 52%. By this time the computer had been running all day and it was after midnight so I started again and left it running overnight. In the morning it was frozen at 92% so started again and this time froze at 95%. Eventually it got to 100% and started the install process which was very nearly 24hrs after I started. Anyhow, it's working fine and the new menu for the Nav is the same as the car menu's rather than the horrible ugly Garmin menu.

Glad I stuck with it and just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else encounters the same sticking problems.

Map updates

More or less the same problem, took about 16 hours. After it freezes, it seems to start again if you pause it for a few minutes. This was using the new MB download manager version. Nothing to do with connection speed as I have 30mb download speed.

One other thing The volume mute/unmute is now reversed, i.e. if it shows as unmuted it is actually muted. Maybe that's just mine, would be interested to know.

I have tried to update mine a couple of times over the last few days and the best I get is it does the 16Gb download (eventually!) and then doesn't seem to install the maps ! and never completes the install !

I now have a Satnav System where I can do everything like change settings etc. but has no maps installed !!

Anyone got any pointers how I can resolved this ?

Had to restart it 4 times; the voice files downloaded but didn't install and then the manual wouldn't install until I deleted the zero-length file from the SD card. Completed in under 30 minutes and the new menu style makes it look like it is part of the whole system.

Ok did mine again and it all seemed to go through OK - now when I put the SD card back in the car and go through the confirming this is the intended vehicle it comes up with 'Cannot Unlock Maps' !

If I put it back in the PC it says put it in the vehicle first !

Can anyone advise what I need to do as this is driving me slowly mad !

Radar, Is the card unlocked ? The slide switch on the side?

Just a suggestion.

Regarding the Update 8, mine flew through, no problems, plus a lot shorter time to update than everyone else.
I must have been lucky!

Now, if I could get some speed camera warnings on the card........

I can't even get it to offer me an upgrade.
Says my card is up to date.
I'm on V6.
:-/

Harridog, Ive got a disc partition on my iMac with windows 7 on it.
I used that to update.
I just need to suss out the camera warnings now, before my trip to Scotland next week!
Seems to be easier said than done....

Had to restart it 4 times; the voice files downloaded but didn't install and then the manual wouldn't install until I deleted the zero-length file from the SD card. Completed in under 30 minutes and the new menu style makes it look like it is part of the whole system.

Ran the update for my wife's GLC - downloaded and installed no problems in a matter of minutes!

I just did mine just now it was real fast i ticked the box to back up first but in the end I skipped it as it was taking forever.I updated mine on a Mac through windows 10

Last edited:
I've managed to get speed cameras working on my audio 20 map pilot.

Give us a shout if you need any help :)

I've been through that, created two POI files (Camera.gpi and Redlight.gpi) and put them into the POI directory on the SD card. The Nav system does not appear to see them...

I've been through that, created two POI files (Camera.gpi and Redlight.gpi) and put them into the POI directory on the SD card. The Nav system does not appear to see them...

Update: having now driven past the nearest speed camera, it works! However, text displayed is in Chinese, as mentioned in post #22 here:

W205 Garmin map pilot situation update. - Page 2 - MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts

Just off to the Pocket GPS World site to see what the latest is.

I can't even get it to offer me an upgrade.
Says my card is up to date.
I'm on V6.
:-/

I have the same issue. My map is V5, B180, just a year old. The MB download manager offers to update the software only but not the map. The car had the first service today but no update was done even though it is ticked on the form. Why am i not given the opportunity to update the map?

Update: having now driven past the nearest speed camera, it works! However, text displayed is in Chinese, as mentioned in post #22 here:

W205 Garmin map pilot situation update. - Page 2 - MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts

Just off to the Pocket GPS World site to see what the latest is.

Awesome, glad to hear its working. Ive not had chinese characters on mine, just random numbers pop up across the top of the screen in red.
For the chinese characters, check out post #3 here: Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras Forums-viewtopic-Mercedes MY17 Garmin Map Pilot - Alerts in Chinese?

V8 Update

V7 backup - complete
V8 download - complete
V8 Install - ????

After leaving the download running overnight it is now at 100% and the pause button has gone, so that part is complete, but it doesn't appear to have kicked into Install. Any ideas ??

It may be that it's configuring the download in preparation for install - but surly it shouldn't take this long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom