Garmin Map Pilot update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spuddey

Car
c350e saloon
So I have been trying to update the maps on my c350e - the SD card should be updated via the online system. I have logged in over the weekend and each time it says there is an update to the version 6 maps but then it fails to download and update them to the card.

Today I asked the local dealership to do the update as I had failed and as I understand I have updates on a new car for a couple of years.

Now the good bit - the dealership failed as well - apparently the SD card is too small for the update from Garmin which is much bigger than the old version. The SD card is also matched to the VIN number of my car so they need to get a new bigger card. Apparently this is news to Mercedes and they are asking Garmin what to do...

Anyone else had this issue? I am awaiting a call back but won't be impressed if they ask me to pay anything for a new card!

I've just bought a 2016 C200 and the dealer kindly gave me the latest Garmin Map Pilot for it. The maps were 2016 v7. I thought I'd check to see if there are any updates and the Download Manager told me that there was a software update and a map update to 2016 v8. It happily chuntered away for a couple of hours downloading and updating as it went. It now appears to have hung as the progress bars show the downloads were 100% but the install is at 0% and has been sat there for the last 5 hours doing nothing. Do I as it to restore to the old version, I wonder?

If you try downloading again (took me 3 attemps) it will eventually complete?

I just kept starting again and it finally worked. Mind you, mine is a 2014 C250 and all it did was update the software - map version ended up the same!

My son's Renault Tom Tom is so much better and easier, mind you, so's Navmii on my iPhone!

Thanks for the tip. I have an old TomTom and much prefer it. This seems to have stopped at the map installation so I'm a bit wary of cancelling, just in case it's doing something useful but slowly. The Windows Task Manager shows it is using varying amounts of memory around 70MB and 0 - 0.2% of the CPU.

The first time mine showed as download complete but seemed frozen. So I ejected SD card and tried in car and nav didn't recognise card! Eek!

Panic and I tried downloading again - it said it was resuming download, even though it had previously said 100% complete.

Second time it got about 75% through and hung. So 3rd try and it got to end and I seem to remember it then asked me to assign to car.

This time it then worked fine.

Phil

I left the update "running" overnight and it was still stuck at 95% this morning. So I took your advice and stopped the Downloader and restarted it. It told me that I had a cancelled update and continued it - this time showing it as 45% complete. Anyway, it continued happily to completion (about 30 minutes). I've just put the SD card back in the car and it works - showing Europe Map 2016 v8. Hooray! Thanks for your help.

Glad it worked Ron.

I'll have to pluck up the courage to check mine again. Not sure if it makes any difference with mine being older than yours but as I said, last time it only updated the software, not the map version?

It went in for a service not long after (Nov 2016) and they reckoned the maps were the latest version? Not sure if this meant the latest available, or the latest I was going to get without paying!

I don't do a lot of long journeys these days, so it's not a big issue.

Regards
Phil

I think the way it works is that, if you have the Audio 20 system (like me), you can update your maps for 60 days from the purchase of the Garmin SD card. You get software updates whenever they come out. If you have the Comand system, then you get map updates for three years.

When I bought my previous car (a C220) I updated the SD card using the M-B Downloader and promptly broke the system. After three weeks' toing and froing, the dealership gave me a new card and said not to update it for at least a year as the M-B head unit's firmware was incompatible with the latest Garmin download from the M-B website! So no map update. I wasn't the only customer with a toasted sat nav system - the Service Manager told me he'd had to order in a dozen new cards for others in the same situation.

Last edited:
My update has been downloading for 5 hours, its now at 2% which is 360MB of a 16GB file
I have a 70GB fibre connection so what the hell is it doing?

And also how come a 2017 vehicle fresh from delivery from mercedes only has a 2015 satnav card in it!
Also radio keeps saying device unavailable and the exhaust rattles on the bottom of the car when its ticking over! Am not impressed at all

Paul

Last edited:
My update has been downloading for 5 hours, its now at 2% which is 360MB of a 16GB file����
I have a 70GB fibre connection so what the hell is it doing?

If using Windows 10, run MB download manager in compatabilty setting and it will work in no time.

Russ

The new Merc download manager version 3 seems to be ok on win10. I already have the latest maps, but new software (v8.1, sw37.15,17/02.00 e70.2) which is 641MB downloaded in a few minutes.

I have a one year old GLC which was supplied with the Garmin Sat Nav with maps v5.2.

I have just had the car in for service and asked them to update the maps. It has come back completely different. The interface seems to have almost gone back a version.( a bit like going from Windows 10 to Windows 7.) It is predominantly grey and some of the functionality has gone. For instance you can now no longer see the route in advance as you could previously. It used to show the route by turns in text and you had the option to view the whole route on the map. Both these options you could see before you set off as well as alternative routes.

Now none of this shows. I took the car back and it has been in all day for them to look at it. They tell me it has had a 16gb upgrade!

The settings now show the maps version to be V5.1 but Mercedes assure me it is v8. I'm not convinced but don't know where to go on this one.

Has anyone else "upgraded" to suffer the same problem?

My understanding of the Garmin Sat Nav in Mercedes is that a free update is only available in the first 60 days.

Did your dealer charge you for your update? I don't think they will update it to V8 without someone paying for it. I suspect if it says V5 then that's what it is.

I bought a Garmin SD card on ebay and the settings on my car clearly show it to be V8.

Russ

My understanding of the Garmin Sat Nav in Mercedes is that a free update is only available in the first 60 days.

Did your dealer charge you for your update? I don't think they will update it to V8 without someone paying for it. I suspect if it says V5 then that's what it is.

I bought a Garmin SD card on ebay and the settings on my car clearly show it to be V8.

Russ

No they didn't charge me for it.But it seems they have taken it back to an older version than the original I had which was 5.2. Also the whole interface seems different. it just does not have the functionality of the previous system.

No they didn't charge me for it.

You can get an SD card with V7 on ebay starting around £45 or so, V8 can be bought for around £75, I got V8 for mine as I had V5 when I bought the car.

You might want to put your SD card into Mercedes download manager on the off chance that Mercedes gave you a new card & within the 60 days will update for free before buying a new one?

Russ

You can get an SD card with V7 on ebay starting around £45 or so, V8 can be bought for around £75, I got V8 for mine as I had V5 when I bought the car.

You might want to put your SD card into Mercedes download manager on the off chance that Mercedes gave you a new card & within the 60 days will update for free before buying a new one?

Russ

Thanks are you able to provide me with a link to the MB download manager please?

Can i copy the SD Card Garmin Map Pilot onto another SD Card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom