Garmin Map Pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dale1977

Car
C220 Bluetec
Hi All.

I was hoping somebody would be able to help!

I recently received a new (65 plate) C220 Bluetec as a company car, unfortunately when it arrived it came without the Navi SD card which i believe has to be a Garmin Map Pilot to work on the Audio CD 20 system. Every time I get in my car and look at the screen I think it's such a waste not to have the Navi.

After about a month of curiously thinking about the Navi I mentioned it to my brother who said 'problem solved, my wife took her's out of her car before she sold it on thinking she might get another Mercedes', he then sent me the SD card with its full casing (it's like brand new!) and I was like a kid on Christmas morning!

When I inserted the card into my car eagerly awaiting the screen to light up with a jazzy Map the following appeared: 'The navigation software on the memory card is out of date. Please update the navigation software'. A little confused I reverted back to the internet and found out that I could update the card via the Mercedes Download Manager. So from there I updated the the SD card to the point where it states the card is 'up to date'. Buzzing again I went back to my car and inserted the SD, after a few seconds the system said 'activating navigation, please wait'. I waited, and waited and then the following appeared 'An update card is not supported; please contact your local Mercedes-Benz dealer'.

I didn't know what to do next, so again I reverted back to the internet for advice. After reading various (other) forums it would seem that once a SD car is inserted into the car the card becomes married to the car and cannot be used on another car. I tried running the download manager again, this time I noticed that the car VIN number is displayed, it wasn't the VIN of my new car.

Is there anybody out there who can advise on my situation? Surely these SD cards can be transferred from one Mercedes to another, what about people who purchase the SD card and then a month or two later change there car, similar to whats happened in my case.

Is there a way around this so that my card can become activate with my car?

What is my next step?

Regards
Dale1977

Can't advise, but can definitely say that I took one out of a friends r172 and put it into bil's w204 and back again without any problems whatsoever.

Thanks Mark & Ted.

Mark the card came out of a C220 2012, its definitely a Garmin Map Pilot, it worked in the previous car without any problems.

Regards
Dale

Thanks Mark & Ted.

Mark the card came out of a C220 2012, its definitely a Garmin Map Pilot, it worked in the previous car without any problems.

Regards
Dale

I have just handed back a 2012 c220 and it was def a Becker and not Garmin. Would have been in a black unit about 12cm square. Sd card slot in side for increasing memory and storing extra maps. Unit slotted into the glove box.

Thanks Mark & Ted.

Regards
Dale

I have just handed back a 2012 c220 and it was def a Becker and not Garmin. Would have been in a black unit about 12cm square. Sd card slot in side for increasing memory and storing extra maps. Unit slotted into the glove box.

The SD slot is in the arm rest compartment between the driver and passengers chair next the 2x USB sockets.

Cheers
dale1977

Please see images attached of the SD.

Any idea's anyone?

Regards
Dale

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 21
  • $_57 (2).JPG
    $_57 (2).JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 18
  • $_57 (3).JPG
    $_57 (3).JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 25
The slot for the SD card is located in the arm rest between the driver and passengers seat.

Dale1977 said:
The slot for the SD card is located in the arm rest between the driver and passengers seat.

Not sure that's right. Open the glovebox and there should be a plastic box in a holder. There is a button on the top in the middle. Push this and it ejects the "Becker" unit. This has a slot in it for so cards. It's this you use to increase its memory.

Mines a 2014 A45 and it has a Becker Map Pilot. The video is for a Garmin. Is that what your car has if so it obviously is different from mine. I have found that I didn't need to expand the memory on the Becker.

Im guessing your W205 has the touchpad system with the Garmin Map Pilot in the same as mine (65 plate C220 Sport). Once the SD card has been inserted into a vehicle it CANNOT be used in any other vehicle as it "marries" to the unit of the car it is first inserted into. I don't know why a 65 plate was delivered with no SD card inserted but your only option is to pursue this lack of card in the car through Mercedes or, if you know the reason why the original SD card is not available you need to buy a new one. Don't even THINK about buying a used one off fleabay by the way - there are several sellers on there with cards that are tested as working - they test them in a unit - the unit then marries the card to that unit and that one only - ergo, SD card is useless. Only buy one in a brand new sealed package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom