Garmin sat nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dragon

Banned
While driving south on the A90 after the Forth Road bridge toward Edinburgh airport, there is a new(not really new, almost 2 years old) bypass A8000, can see my car in the sat nav in the middle of a field. :D

The A1 is being upgraded to do away with roundabouts at Grantham and Worksop. This really speed up the flow of traffic. Again the sat nav gave up at Worksop saying there was no starting point with an error displayed and couldn't navigate any further. What a shock? :eek:

my Garmin shows a road that bypasses Kirkliston and joins the A8000 to junction 1a of the M9

I presume that is the one you are referring to?

My previous Becker system was always at least 1 year behind the times with new roadsbut then you'd expect that wouldn't you?

If I were you. I'd check Garmin's site and see if there is an update for your maps

Andy

my Garmin shows a road that bypasses Kirkliston and joins the A8000 to junction 1a of the M9

I presume that is the one you are referring to?

My previous Becker system was always at least 1 year behind the times with new roadsbut then you'd expect that wouldn't you?

If I were you. I'd check Garmin's site and see if there is an update for your maps

Andy

You are talking the south end of A8000 from M9 which existed more than 10 years ago. I was referring to the north end of A8000 from A90.

Before the adjusted bypass in order to get to Edinburgh airport, have to turn left after leaving Forth Road bridge towards Queensferry and used the B800 to join A8000. It logical not to have to do this now but Garmin. :crazy:

I bought it in May 08 and remember downloaded the most up to date map. There are no new download other than the road safey map which expired after one month or have to pay £40 a year. :rolleyes:

There are roads around here that have been there for donkey's years yet sat nav's still not caught up. The system is only as good as the maps they obtain and issue.

There are roads around here that have been there for donkey's years yet sat nav's still not caught up. The system is only as good as the maps they obtain and issue.

But they are dead accurate about mobile safety cameras on overhead bridges on every single one across M74 and A80. :D

As Pammy says, they are only as good as the data they are provided and we have to remember that they do get it wrong occasionally. However, the Becker and the Garmin we've got now have never directed us onto railway tracks, through rivers down dead ends etc something our Tom Tom owning friends are all too used to :)

the £40 a year is for the speed camera database, they update it every week so that's £40 worth spending :)

As Pammy says, they are only as good as the data they are provided and we have to remember that they do get it wrong occasionally. However, the Becker and the Garmin we've got now have never directed us onto railway tracks, through rivers down dead ends etc something our Tom Tom owning friends are all too used to :)

the £40 a year is for the speed camera database, they update it every week so that's £40 worth spending :)

For a £99 sat nav?

Is this the catch? Sell you a cheap sat nav and recoup it from £40 pa. :D

It costs the same if you buy a £200/£300 etc sat nav - that's the price of that particular service.

Less than £1 a week to have information on where all the cameras are (or likely to be) in that particular week is money well spent - it actually works out at about 11p per day - bargain :)

However, the Becker and the Garmin we've got now have never directed us onto railway tracks, through rivers down dead ends etc something our Tom Tom owning friends are all too used to :)

I've never known a TomTom to direct anyone down a railway track, neither of mine have. I have read of some stupid people who thought that an instruction to take the next turn off on the left meant take the railway line instead of the road, hardly the fault of a TomTom.

In the case of missing roads etc, use the mapshare in TomTom to correct them, not much use if you have a Becker or Garmin though :)

Russ

apparently some tom toms had a liking for suggesting a turn at one of the un-manned crossings down here - the road was about 20 yards beyond the crossing so unless you were on the ball it was a potential problem :)

I do believe it has been corrected though

TomTom has 'mapshare' now, where anyone can submit map corrections. You have an (optional) on-screen button to mark any locations where the map is wrong as you're driving, then you can make corrections later and (depending on your options) submit them to TomTom. You can choose to automatically download corrections others have submitted whenever your unit is in the PC docking station. You can set the level of 'reliability' - mine only picks up ones that have been checked & verified by TomTom. I currently have 159,732 of these applied (Western Europe map)!

This is a free service too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom