Garmin Streetpilot 111 Deluxe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
I am seriously thinking of buying Sat-Nav having seen Fuzzer's kit at the GTG. He has Garmin Streetpilot 111 Deluxe, which although priced at £850 I can get for £705 from Costco.

I was well impressed with Fuzzer's and the info that I have gleaned since from the net.:bannana: :bannana:

Does anyone know any reason why I shouldn't buy it??? If so speak now or forever hold your peace.:D :D

Given the great price at Costco I'd say go for it. If you were paying the full retail price I'd suggest looking at one of the iPAQ solutions or even the NavMan unit.

Have you any links/more details?

I want some form of Sat Nav too.

I want to retain my current MP3 headunit, so was trying to find a DIN sized Sat nav unit, that I was going to fit in where my CD-Holder is (above Ash tray).

Trouble is I cant find a Nav only unit, they are all audio units too and are £800 plus which is a shame for the use I will give it.

I was thinking that a garmin unit might be right for me.

I would want to mod mine more discretley into the dash, perhaps loosing the portability benefit, but I don't want it sat on my dash top. Jason's looked a bit bulky, but I am sure they do smaller ones.

Apart from the display unit, are there any other parts to them or is that it? Where does it get it's maps from?

If you got one of the bluetooth iPAQ navigation units you can place the iPAQ where ever you want and could be hidden.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K

I would want to mod mine more discretley into the dash, perhaps loosing the portability benefit, but I don't want it sat on my dash top. Jason's looked a bit bulky, but I am sure they do smaller ones.

Apart from the display unit, are there any other parts to them or is that it? Where does it get it's maps from?

C'mon Graham ... Road Angel + iPAQ - (you know you want to !!! ;)) - don't know where you would be able to build that Garmin unit into the dash, to be honest - it would have to sit up top.

kit640.jpg

If I change my current set-up ...ever... (which I am extremely happy with at the moment) , then it would be for a motorised screen type thing - or if you really want fully integrated, at that price then go for COMAND - it won't cost you much more and will look wicked.

Last edited:
No offence Sym, but I don't want to go for the Inspector gadget met Knight Rider look.

Some of the Garmin's are very small and maybe I would be prepared to have it on top - I have now read it only needs power as you download the Maps from your PC CD-ROM.

I have a CD Holder where your cubby hole is above the Ash Tray and would be prepeared to mod that so it would fit in there.

But with the Garmin at £800, I could get a Becker Traffic Pro Headunit, install it in the standard location and have my Flip front Kenwood MASK lower down.

Anyone looked into anything cheaper in the Garmin range? Any shops stock them so I can go and check out?

i went for the flip out Alpine screen and Alpine DVD NAv, works really well, not a cheap option tho!

afraid i dont know much about the other sat nav systems about!

No offence Sym, but I don't want to go for the Inspector gadget met Knight Rider look.

What are you suggesting ??????

ks01id.gif

:p :p

Originally posted by sym

ks01id.gif

Sym is that your next mod? a modified rear spoiler 3rd brake light fitted into an Avantgarde grille? :p

S.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
Sym is that your next mod? a modified rear spoiler 3rd brake light fitted into an Avantgarde grille? :p

S.

As our resident law enforcers will tell you, "moving" lights on a vehicle are illegal (& tacky!) ..... so, no ! (If I had the Pontiac though ... maybe :D))

Graham - don't blame you for wanting an integrated look - I will probably do it - eventually - just wanted a quick and easy solution with the kit that I already had.

S.

Anyone looked into anything cheaper in the Garmin range? Any shops stock them so I can go and check out?
The Garmin iQue 3600 is around the ~£500 mark I think, and you also get a fully functional palmOS PDA. Different formfactor to the streepilots so you'd have to attach it to the dash in some inspector gadget type way ;), but there would be no trailing wires as its rechargeable and the GPS is built in...

linky

Thanks lads I think from the general vote & price I will go for the Garmin.:bannana: :bannana:

Graham- For the variety try these links mate.

I agree that given the option I would rather go Integrated, but there you are.:cool:

Garmin

offroadstore

Some of the Garmin's are very small and maybe I would be prepared to have it on top - I have now read it only needs power as you download the Maps from your PC CD-ROM.

A while ago, before I bought the NavMan unit I looked at some of the cheaper Garmin units and found they didn't have the features needed to make it truely usefull. Some of the earlier units you had to attach it to the PC to plan the route and it offered no re-routing if you took a wrong turn or made a detour.

For a unit to be usefull it does need the ability to enter destinations in the UK, a quick routing time, re-routing, map display and voice navigation (otherwise it is too easy to miss a turn). Some units such as NavMan include maps for all of Europe in the price.

Originally posted by RichardM
I looked at some of the cheaper Garmin units and found they didn't have the features needed to make it truely usefull. Some of the earlier units you had to attach it to the PC to plan the route and it offered no re-routing if you took a wrong turn or made a detour.

For a unit to be usefull it does need the ability to enter destinations in the UK, a quick routing time, re-routing, map display and voice navigation (otherwise it is too easy to miss a turn). Some units such as NavMan include maps for all of Europe in the price.

VERY good points Richard thanks.

Is the Garmin streetpilot III (not the plus) OK on these issues?

Yes it does but not the lesser models. Thats what put me off originally, the Streetpilot III was very expensive, about £1000 when launched and the more affordable models would just be a useless toy! I'm pleased I waited and got the NavMan 3400 which also has all those features (earlier versions of NavMan didn't though).

£705 from Costco is a great price!

Have bought Garmin StreetPilot 111 Deluxe from local Costco @ £704.98 Excellent value, latest software.

As we speak I have been setting it up and will try out tomorrow mate. Watch this space, first impressions excellent piece of kit, set route to my daughters then went wrong deliberately and it alerted me and recalculated, which takes a minute or so.

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

I'll let you know tomorrow night how I get on, by the way reception is OK without external aerial so far.

Originally posted by RichardM

Yep mine does all that and covers Europe.:bannana: :bannana:

Originally posted by Brian WH
and it alerted me and recalculated, which takes a minute or so.

Did it literally take a whole minute to re-calculate ? mine takes 5-10 seconds max if you detour from the route that it has planned.

(....Mind you - it also gives late warning of right turns ..... occasionaly !!!)

Sounds like a good deal though for a useful portable piece of kit. Nice 1.

S.

:bannana:

Well Done brian .. excellent choice.

I loaded the North american maps onto mine last night and was setting hotels etc as waypoints ..

Marvellous piece of kit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom