GAS ELECTRICITY in the home a Question of use.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Holland

Car
Mercedes C180 Classic Estate 1996 and a Ducati Paso 907ie in the Garage.
Hi folks this is way off topic but some of the stuff on here suggests I may get an answer with the wealth of knowledge out there.

I have also googled for info but have not found a precise or useful answer..............and the family and friends have no idea either.

Okay the scenerio for the question is this

I/We the family at present use an online service for our duel fuel Gas/Electric for the house.

Winter (Oct-April) is the only time for a fact that we use the gas apart from running the back boiler pilot light.

We have an alternative source for hot water via shower, wash sink etc as and when required which is electric and cheap for the rest of the months in the year.

So is it possible legal and straight forward to simply stop your gas supply and then re start it as and when you require with your supplier I have recently had a new upto date gas Meter installed and it would be just a case of turning a lever (which is what I do if I go away on holiday if the house is to be left empty).?

Are there likely to be hidden charges?

I'm I within my rights to do this without incuring additional costs or charges being levied?

Any one doing this already.

The reason I ask is that I am paying a standing charge for something I do not use or require.:dk: (its over £110.00 plus the tax/vat which I would rather keep than just give away )

Many thanks

Last edited:
I think the standing charge is for the meter. To lose the charge you lose the meter, but there would be a disconnection and reconnection charge.

I think the standing charge is for the meter. To lose the charge you lose the meter, but there would be a disconnection and reconnection charge.

That's what I am thinking hence the question but I can't seem to find any set charges for re connecting existing customers that already have a service.

a similiar type 21st century example would be sky or virgin with either internet / phone / tv.

I am not moving supplier, or using the meter and neither am I cutting off the service I am not disconnecting or requiring reconnection. Just simply using an item that is not mine to own and is already there to use as and when I require it. Neither have I signed a contract for a specific period of use.

Hope that sounds correct?

Yeah,but you will get a standing charge for their meter/supply whether you use it or not.

It would all depend on how your dual fuel supplier structures their charges.

1. If, say your supplier adds the standing charge to your invoice as a specific item, then simply turning off the gas will still incure that charge. Although you will not be using any gas you will still have to pay this specified charge.

2. If, say your supplier rolls the standing charge into the cost of the gas per Kwh or cubic metre and does not itemise it on the invoice then simply turning off the gas will incure no standing charges whatsoever.

You need to check your statements / invoices etc to verify the above.

One thing to note though. If you do take this course of action, and there is nothing legally to stop you from doing so, you would be best advising your supplier up front. There are two very sound reasons for this; one is that a sudden cessation of consumption may allert the suppliers fraud department, ie they may think that you are by-passing the meter or obtaining gas, for free, by some other means, and decide to investigate you and the other is that you are more than likely getting a good or better deal than elsewhere because you are a "dual-fuel customer", if you cease to use the gas side of the equation then you theoretically, and suddenly, become a "single-fuel" customer.

HTH.

Portzy.

Last edited:
I think only EDF actually have a standing charge these days. Most of the other guys just have a higher rate for the first X number of units per year then revert to a lower rate.

It sounds like changing supplier may work for you here.

At present I am with 1st Utility which is an independent supplier and "prides itself in helping customers reduce their energy costs" so you hopefully see where I am coming from. The duel fuel tariff benefit and monthly standing charge is soon to be removed as part of the standardsation of their charges (that ofgem thing last year) which is why I am considering my change of use.

I have used just about every major company in the last 20 years and have found this lot to be the most honest, straight forward and easiest to deal with and generally overall the cheapest in the long run for what little they have to do as a supplier. So I am not looking to change.

I am digging through my online contract at present to see what and how I am charged but with no luck so a phonecall tomorrow may be made.

I am keen though to see what arguments I may come up against............and additional costs of course.
thank you thus far for your advice.

As others have said switch to a tariff where the standing charge is rolled into the metered billing.

I get free hot water via solar for about 9 moths a year and as the gas consumption then is only for a gas hob it is negligible.
During the two "Summer" quarters my bills are about £5. The meter was read six times in the first couple of years, but now I think they understand, although I don't care anyway, they can come and check the meter anytime.

That's what I am thinking hence the question but I can't seem to find any set charges for re connecting existing customers that already have a service.
is the crucial wording if you get your service "disconnected" as you put it you are no longer an " existing customer" ----- sure you are some guy with a house with gas pipes and a meter and everything but you are not " connected " in the fiscal sense which is what counts. I pretty sure the governing rule is - if you are paying them money you are "connected" if you are not--- you are "disconnected" no matter what the physical reality is and will incur new "connection" charges when you apply for a "new" supply

I think that having the meter connected indicates you are indeed connected.
Transco own the supply pipe and meter, so you would need to pay them to remove the meter and cap the supply pipe, then again pay them to re-instate the supply when next required.

As others have said switch to a tariff where the standing charge is rolled into the metered billing.

I get free hot water via solar for about 9 moths a year and as the gas consumption then is only for a gas hob it is negligible.
During the two "Summer" quarters my bills are about £5. The meter was read six times in the first couple of years, but now I think they understand, although I don't care anyway, they can come and check the meter anytime.

Unfair to moths! :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom