Gas pipe size.

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by marty359, Dec 29, 2008.

1. marty359

marty359 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 330d with indicators and Jeep Renegade also with indicators
    Seasons greetings, Im taking advantage of the sales and fitting a new kitchen and want to keep the electric oven but change the electric hob for gas.

We have a 30m run of 15mm gas pipe from the meter at the front of the house going all the way to the boiler at the back via the kitchen.Im not sure of the the rating of the boiler but it feeds 10 rads,will the 15mm gas pipe be big enough to run the boiler and a 4 ring hob?

Thanks in advance Marty.

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    I think most gas boiler installers would put in a 22mm supply pipe as a minimum now. Some boiler electronic controls are sensitive to gas supply pressure and if you were to run the 4 rings plus boiler you might begin to get boiler control problems? There are some heating engineer members on the forum so no doubt they will be along to confirm/deny this shortly.;)

3. Darrell

Darrell Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
    Car:
    A Jaaaaag, 2016 Dacia Duster and a 2004 Carrera (996)
    Run a new supply from the meter in 22mm and reduce down to 15mm as near to the boilier and hob as you can.

4. OP
    OP
    marty359

Car:
    Thanks for the replys, Its a pig of a route if I had to change to 22mm it goes through 4 rooms and the upstairs landing:( and doing it surface outside would look crap.

Oh well...thanks anyway.

5. portzy

portzy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
    I think that you would be pushing things a bit with so much 15mm. I take it your boilers' not a combi?

Portzy.

6. OP
    OP
    marty359

Car:
    No portzy its an ancient glow worm space saver with an indirect tank:confused: where the central heating heats the hot water.

7. portzy

portzy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    An SLK R171 with lots of toys and a Golf Plus for fishing.
    I reckoned so. You are really on the limits with so much 15mm even to the present boiler, I'm guessing its in the region of 50,000 to 60,000 btu (15 to 18kw) input and believe it or not the average hotplate could well be nearly half that on top again. It would be best, at least, to go to the first appliance with 22mm then reduce down to 15mm for the next. As someone has said, if you drop the working pressure too much the burner(s) could malfunction and cause poor combustion, although the Space Saver was a range rated boiler and is quite tolerant to different input pressures, the output will suffer.

If you intend to ever get a combi though, expect to have all 22mm and possibly a bit of 28mm from the meter.

Portzy.

8. poppypiesdad

poppypiesdad Active Member

Car:
    Vito 108 Dualiner
    i know its a pig but repipe it because your bolier will pack in one day and you'll have to do it :(

9. joe

joe Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203
    There are charts for sizing gas pipes. (If I can find the charts/calculations I will scan and post) Pipes have flow rates, bends and fittings reduce these rates.

Basically you should not have more than a 1mb drop at appliances (take meter pressure)

You need to size your appliances by reading the data badge or calculating a gas rate when appliance is working.

Correct Gas pipe sizing is part of Gas safety Regs.

Good Luck
    Joe

10. OP
    OP
    marty359

Car:
    :D I only wanted a new kitchen.A ceramic quick plate hob thingy will be fine.

The boilers lasted well and when she blows i'll have it all done in one hit.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
Tags: