Gas shocks or oil shocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBK

Hi guys,

i'm buying a new of springs and shocks for my coupe as with the arrival of a little angel i need to raise the ride height of the car. please see attached pic. I dont want to go back to standard ride height so i've been looking at some lowering kits, i've found one which isnt too dear and offers a 45mm drop. it uses gas shocks, my question is, was the 124 originally fitted with gas shocks or oil filled??

Thanks in advance.

Kuldip

The front shockers are described as twin tube gas pressure shock absorbers and the rears as gas filled shock absorbers so the answer is yes. They also contain oil just to confuse things but are best described as gas filled shocks.

cool i'm looking at a bilstein kit they also produce the oem parts for merc dont they? or am i imagining things again?

What kit have you seen?

I'm looking for a new kit too, I think I'm going to go for the Bilstein B12 kit.

i'm going for the bilstein streetline sports kit. I'll drive round with these then revert back to my current set when the little one is older.

Bilstein B12

I'm a B12er in 300CE Sportline - I say, "Yes!"

Ask Oliver Stoner in this group as, I think, he has fitted them and is a fan.

RayH

B12 aren't exactly a soft ride though afaik

Last edited:
None of 'em should be called "gas filled" really, the gas is just in there to keep the oil pressurised and stop the shocks fading when they get hot under hard use.

And the gas is actually AIR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom