Gaz_L's Subaru Impreza

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
Hi Gaz,

That new Impreza of yours looks great. It's the same estate generation as I have looked at in the past.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/other-marques-gallery/77462-classic-shape-subaru-impreza.html

Like you said, there are many tired/thrashed ones out there, so it's good to see there are some good ones out there still.

If you do ever find your C55 please advertise this Impreza on this forum first, as if my circumstances are OK I'd be very interested.

Thanks.

There are still a few unabused examples about, but they are getting hard to find.. it's taken me 3 or 4 months to track one down that I was prepared to put my cash into..

So, we need to wait for Trando to buy his C63, then maybe I can buy his C55, then maybe you can buy my Impreza.. getting as bad as the housing market.. :D

Cheers,

Gaz

Can I be cheeky and ask roughly what you paid for it? The values seem to vary quite a bit. For me I value original cars. But the Impreza naturally attracts people wishing to customise their car's. To them the £ they spent added to the value and they ask accordingly when selling. Also to me a FSH is very important on these cars, as some services are expensive, where just an oil and filter wont suffice.

Happy ownership :)

I'm looking for a CLK270 and got an Impreza to sell when I find one.
Couldn't agree more about the dogs out there though. I learned from my last one that they're best left unmolested and serviced properly.
Mind you even a good Impreza is worth depressingly little these days, dammit.

Not a problem.

I paid £3495 for it. You can pick one up for £2K or possibly less these days, but you are in potential money pit territory. BTW, this is a completely standard UK car with no mods.. the only way I'd buy one.

I have a stamped up service book and a stack of invoices for mine (mostly from Bell and Colvill), the last time it was serviced was in January and the bill was £1100. I think it's fair to say that it has wanted for nothing.

According to the dealer, it was part exchanged for an '03 M3 for the lady owner's 40th birthday. Lucky lady, that's a nice present.

£3500 for 9 year old Impreza is top money, but you get what you pay for. Everything about it felt right when I viewed and test drove it, and so far it all pans out. However, I had possibly the slowest drive ever home as my good lady wife was following me in her 16 year old Fiat Panda :) so I had to keep the speed down..

Cheers,

Gaz

Considering the comprehensive service history I would have been happy with that car for the money.

What's the mileage by the way?

A touch over 60K..

Cheers,

Gaz

What is the difference in bhp between the WRX and the STI Impreza roughly, there are all sorts of claims about grey imports being considerably quicker. Is this actually true ?

Well, I can only speak about the classic models as that's all I've owned. In terms of the very early models (94-96) the UK cars were quoted as 208 BHP, with the JDM (japanese domestic market) cars kicking out 240 BHP. But - japanese fuel is higher octane so there isn't much discernable difference in performance - the ECU will wind down the boost to prevent knock when running on UK unleaded.

Later UK classics went up to 215 BHP (although I still prefer the pre-facelift ones, they used a bigger turbo and were more aggressive at the top end of the rev range) whereas the JDM models went up to 260 then 280 BHP. Even allowing for the difference in fuel quality, later JDM ones were significantly quicker than the UK models. A re-map on a UK car can even up the balance, but it's not really recommended going over 250 BHP as it will hammer the reliability.

STI is Subaru's performance branch - the equivalent of AMG to Mercedes. STI engines have a lot of beefed-up components, a stronger bottom end and are much more tunable. 8000 rpm red line! ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom