GDO,s any experiences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I must be behind with the times. How does a GDO opener stop you from getting zapped my a speed laser gun? Are they just regular GDO's?

I must be behind with the times. How does a GDO opener stop you from getting zapped my a speed laser gun? Are they just regular GDO's?

Some use the same frequency 904 nm laser light, so it effectively blinds a laser speed detection device on the same frequency :thumb:

How do I find out if mine does this?

Check the spec sheet that came with it, it will tell you the frequency and light source. Be very careful though as you would have to have a very good reason to have it switched on whilst in excess of 70 mph on a Motorway:D Many have tried and failed and always been prosecuted.

How do I find out if mine does this?

If you actually purchased the device to open a garage door then it most certainly won't work to confuse laser guns. The devices being talked about here are blatently designed solely to avoid laser detection so that the driver can continue to speed without regard for the law and use the supposed capability of opening a garage door as a "cover" to justify their fitment to the car.

Real garage door openers conventionally use radio signals, not laser emissions.

My garage door opener is just a "clicker". In other words, a simple remote control with a single button on it. Not that I would even need to use it for anything other than opening the garage, I was just surprised to hear people actually can use them to stop being caught speeding.

If you actually purchased the device to open a garage door then it most certainly won't work to confuse laser guns. The devices being talked about here are blatently designed solely to avoid laser detection so that the driver can continue to speed without regard for the law and use the supposed capability of opening a garage door as a "cover" to justify their fitment to the car.

Real garage door openers conventionally use radio signals, not laser emissions.

That is absolutely not true. Some garage door opening devices working on Infra red as opposed to radio signals will jam a laser gun and are designed for opening garage doors not blatantly designed to avoid laser, It's just a nice side benefit :D

The legal devices that warn of speed detection devices are freely available on the open market (TomTom satnav for one). Audible and visual speed warnings by these devices, such as when you exceed the limit, aims to bring your speed awarness back. I think this can only be a good thing.

Yes drivers should know thier speed all the time but in the real world this is not the case.

And legal to use? Including the ones that detect, as opposed to aware of location?

When I used one few years back, I found it increased my speed awareness - a good thing.

(1) flashing roadside display sign warning the driver they are entering a built up area

(2) Most people will obey the speed limit in built up areas if they are "helped" to do so. :thumb: Punishing them with fines is

(3)a tacit admission of failure since this means the system has singularly failed to modify their driving [/I]

(4)won't help that kid crossing the road in the here and now.:dk:

(1) Where they do exist they seem to offer a useful reminder to those who do want to observe the limit and guilt trip into some degree of slowing those who don't.

(2) As there are some who clearly don't give a damn - the 45mph everwhere brigade - and punishment is all that is left to a fool who refuses to learn.

(3) The failure is with the driver - no one else. They got taught speed limits so they could pass their driving test now choose to ignore them. It's for them to improve their driving - no one else can do it for them.

(4) And that'e the reason anyone speeding in 30 and 40 limits deserves every punishment coming their way. Anyone trying to use technology to speed in these limits should be given the kicking of their life then strung up on the nearest lamp post as an example to others. No exceptions.

That is absolutely not true. Some garage door opening devices working on Infra red as opposed to radio signals will jam a laser gun and are designed for opening garage doors not blatantly designed to avoid laser, It's just a nice side benefit :D

Did you ever get round to digging out the precedent on this?

My colleague decided to plead guilty to "interfering with an officer in the course of his duty" or whatever it is, and is waiting to hear what happens next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom