GDO,s any experiences

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricky s

MB Enthusiast
Car
cars
Having just been lasered doing 36 in a 30MPH zone, in my van of all things, (£60 3 points), I am currently looking into a garage door opener, and the benifits of such devices, however this afternoons research looks like its a minefield, law wise and operation of device wise, anyone want to give me their experience with such devices, or recommendations/ comments?

Having just been lasered doing 36 in a 30MPH zone, in my van of all things, (£60 3 points), I am currently looking into a garage door opener, and the benifits of such devices, however this afternoons research looks like its a minefield, law wise and operation of device wise, anyone want to give me their experience with such devices, or recommendations/ comments?
If you have an electric garage door you would have a case if caught with a garage door opener,if not your tredding on dangerous ground imho:eek:

Really you got a FPN for 36mph!? what area were you in?

That to one side please dont go for the device that prevents you speed being read. Any officer worth thier salt will click very quickly that the target vehicle is not returning a speed and will stop it and find out why.

You then go WAY up from a motoring offence and you will be arrested.

You can buy a number of legal (at this time) devices that will warn you of most speed detection equipment.

Last edited:
I run "Laser Park Pro" on all my cars. Just Google it and all will be revealed, however despite my previous look at me I am teflon coated posts they won't get one of our cars, SWMBO got caught speeding by a camera van so I will reveal the story to help others and save you wasting your money on GDO or parking sensors.

4 weeks ago SWMBO came home and said thank goodness I have one of those parking devices on my car I have just been flashed by a camera van. What I said camera vans don't flash they use laser & video, this one did she said and my daughter confirmed it, you are mad i said you must have seen someone turn the interior light on in their van you're just paranoid.

3 weeks go by no NIP, told you I said paranoid. 4 weeks go by and she gets a letter from the police asking why she has not replied to the NIP " erm because we never received it" any way she replied to the request and told them she was the driver etc.

This started me thinking camera van front facing white flash is this legal? So I spoke to some of my contacts on traffic it would appear that the new generation of camera vans have reverted to radar instead of laser, due to the fact 904 nm laser light is a public wavelength and there are problems associated with prosecutions because of this.

So be warned the new generation camera vans use radar and instead of laser video is gone and it is a single shot high definition image illuminated by a forward facing LED flash, SWMBO's photo was in the pitch black and she viewed the Image and said it was perfect absolutely crystal clear "you could even see the wrinkles in my face" she said.

She has looked at everything regarding this and they have played it totally by the book and can't be faulted so no way out other than hold up her hands and say " guilty as charged" this week she got the offer of a speed awareness course £70 fee and no points which she is obviously taking.

These are one of the new generation camera vans so don't waste your money on laser defence it won't be around for long, better equip yourself with GPS fixed camera detection and something like a Valentine one to detect radar.

Hope that helps

Really you got a FPN for 36mph!? what area were you in?

That to one side please dont go for the device that prevents you speed being read. Any officer worth thier salt will click very quickly that the target vehicle is not returning a speed and will stop it and find out why.

You can buy a number of legal (at this time) devices that will warn you of most speed detection equipment.

If you are a serving TO then why is the FPN such a big surprise for 36 in a 30? The offence must have warranted this action at the time.

Also as a professional TO should you really be encouraging the use of such avoidance devices?

If you are a serving TO then why is the FPN such a big surprise for 36 in a 30? The offence must have warranted this action at the time.

Also as a professional TO should you really be encouraging the use of such avoidance devices?

I suspect the answer is yes as it does actually make people slow down as they expect a camera.

That all depends what error code it triggers on the laser gun ;)

I run "Laser Park Pro" on all my cars. Just Google it and all will be revealed, however despite my previous look at me I am teflon coated posts they won't get one of our cars, SWMBO got caught speeding by a camera van so I will reveal the story to help others and save you wasting your money on GDO or parking sensors.

4 weeks ago SWMBO came home and said thank goodness I have one of those parking devices on my car I have just been flashed by a camera van. What I said camera vans don't flash they use laser & video, this one did she said and my daughter confirmed it, you are mad i said you must have seen someone turn the interior light on in their van you're just paranoid.

3 weeks go by no NIP, told you I said paranoid. 4 weeks go by and she gets a letter from the police asking why she has not replied to the NIP " erm because we never received it" any way she replied to the request and told them she was the driver etc.

This started me thinking camera van front facing white flash is this legal? So I spoke to some of my contacts on traffic it would appear that the new generation of camera vans have reverted to radar instead of laser, due to the fact 904 nm laser light is a public wavelength and there are problems associated with prosecutions because of this.

So be warned the new generation camera vans use radar and instead of laser video is gone and it is a single shot high definition image illuminated by a forward facing LED flash, SWMBO's photo was in the pitch black and she viewed the Image and said it was perfect absolutely crystal clear "you could even see the wrinkles in my face" she said.

She has looked at everything regarding this and they have played it totally by the book and can't be faulted so no way out other than hold up her hands and say " guilty as charged" this week she got the offer of a speed awareness course £70 fee and no points which she is obviously taking.

These are one of the new generation camera vans so don't waste your money on laser defence it won't be around for long, better equip yourself with GPS fixed camera detection and something like a Valentine one to detect radar.

Hope that helps

Thankyou for that info, thats very educational, great help, and will look into this further, whilst I appreciate you will never beat the system totally, any defence against this onslaught of detector,laser/radar, is going to be money well spent for me personally. Whilst they claw this £60 from me in this instance, and it really ****** me off, I can asure my little company will be investing its funds to assist in preventing these instances again, and at the same time off setting those costs against my company tax liability...I know I,m sounding bitter and twisted, but I,m going to get our cars protected as much as I can. Thankyou for that information.

It's OK having a GDO, but if there's not enough Naquada to power the DHD you're still going to be stuck on Tulak.

10% of the posted limit plus 2 mph is the ACPO guidline untill FPN may be issued. So your looking at 1mph, I would have to look at the time/road/weather and peds conditions untill I could make a full judgement, however I, would I give a FPN for 1 mph??

The legal devices that warn of speed detection devices are freely available on the open market (TomTom satnav for one). Audible and visual speed warnings by these devices, such as when you exceed the limit, aims to bring your speed awarness back. I think this can only be a good thing.

Yes drivers should know thier speed all the time but in the real world this is not the case.

Last edited:
10% of the posted limit plus 2 mph is the ACPO guidline untill FPN may be issued. So your looking at 1mph, I would have to look at the time/road/weather and peds conditions untill I could make a full judgement, however I, would I give a FPN for 1 mph??

The legal devices that warn of speed detection devices are freely available on the open market (TomTom satnav for one). Audible and visual speed warnings by these devices, such as when you exceed the limit, aims to bring your speed awarness back. I think this can only be a good thing.

Yes drivers should know thier speed all the time but in the real world this is not the case.
The Key word is highlighted above I have seen 2 prosecutions go through recently, well NIP's 34 mph in a 30 mph limit and 64 mph in a 60 limit, first one by a camera van second by SPECS so depends which force area you are in and if they observe the ACPO guidelines as some obviously don't

the new generation camera vans use radar ....and it is a single shot high definition image illuminated by a forward facing LED flash, SWMBO's photo was in the pitch black

I'd have to wonder about the wisdom and the legality of firing a forward facing flash at a driver after dark .

Did your wife feel that she was temporarily blinded ?

Suppose there had been a cyclist just beyond the camera van , or a pedestrian crossing the road , and she had not seen them due to being temporarily blinded by this flash of light ?

I'd have to wonder about the wisdom and the legality of firing a forward facing flash at a driver after dark .

Suppose there had been a cyclist just beyond the camera van , or a pedestrian crossing the road , and she had not seen them due to being temporarily blinded by this flash of light ?

Or even better hit the back of the van :cool:

I have to admit Derek I did challenge this as safety was my main concern and I have now seen a demonstration of the new piece of kit, it's not so much of a flash more of a long illumination that lasts 1- 2 seconds from the LED's the intensity of which is well below that of an oncoming cars headlight. If you view the camera van from the back when the LEDS illuminate it is just like someone has turned the interior light on in the van, that sort of effect.

No there was no blindness as it's not like a high intensity camera flash, but I have to wonder why they just didn't use a magenta flash like they do on the Truvelo fixed post cameras? cost I guess?

Don't speed = no ticket, no points................... simples!!

If only the speed limits were sensible!

Not everyone is prepared to drive at such ridiculous speeds. I personally drive too slowly in built up areas because I am always paranoid something or someone is going to run out from behind the houses and parked cars but when I am on the open road I step on it and drive at speeds I feel are appropriate. Everyone knows 70MPH on the motorway on a clear and dry day is a joke and 40MPH on a 4 lane A road is an even bigger joke.

If only the speed limits were sensible!

Not everyone is prepared to drive at such ridiculous speeds. I personally drive too slowly in built up areas because I am always paranoid something or someone is going to run out from behind the houses and parked cars but when I am on the open road I step on it and drive at speeds I feel are appropriate. Everyone knows 70MPH on the motorway on a clear and dry day is a joke and 40MPH on a 4 lane A road is an even bigger joke.

One of the roads near us that leads into open country is so wide and long you could land an Airbus A380 on it, for the last 24 years its been a national speed limit 60 mph, what have they just done reduced it to 30 mph, Moronic local councils.:crazy:

Working from the principle [disputed by many :rolleyes:] that charging people with speeding is a means to reducing vehicular accidents, I am always struck by the irony that if someone is actually booked for breaking the speed limit it means the measure has failed on that occasion to modify that driver's behaviour :doh:--- the more people are booked on a particular stretch of road the greater the degree of failure. :eek: Might I suggest once more that the technology that's available to the traffic police to enforce the law is several orders of magnitude better than the pitiful £10 speedometer gracing the dashboards of most cars on the road. :wallbash:
Where's the automatic voice reminder or flashing roadside display sign warning the driver they are entering a built up area or that they have allowed their speed to drift up on that piece of restricted dual carriageway??? Nowhere- just lots of silent cameras standing in mute judgement! :mad:
Its my belief that the majority of speeding offences- especially the low speed-limit ones are sins of omission rather than commission. Most people will obey the speed limit in built up areas if they are "helped" to do so. :thumb: Punishing them with fines is a tacit admission of failure since this means the system has singularly failed to modify their driving behaviour on that occasion.:crazy: Sure it will perhaps prevent the driver from speeding in the future or eventually end in a driving ban but the prospect of "punishment in the future" won't help that kid crossing the road in the here and now.:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom