Gear box problems. My e320 cdi is dieing :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonny...G

Car
W211 E320cdi
Can't any body help me with this 1.... I think I know the answer and that's that my car is ready for the scrap yard lol.... It's a 2003 320 cdi E class. Done 170k.....
Right it's my gear box, on every journey, at least once, my car will drop out of gear completely. It's like it's in natural, only it's in drive. There's nothing I can do that works to get it bk in gear apart from when my speed drops to 30mph then it jumps bk into gear and I can carry on.

Also it sometimes.... Prob every 3rd time I use the car gets stuck in 2nd gear I think.... Although it says that it's in drive..... The only way of resetting this 1 is to stop the car and re start it.

Also it changes very late and jumps hard into 3rd I have to constantly up shift on my tip tonic gear box otherwise the engine is allways at heigh revs. It changes at about 3k rpm if I don't down shift even when I'm very soft always with my driving.

Also it shudders violently on acceleration in first gear only. Any sensible idea's any1..... I do know it had a new fear box 30k miles ago. Maybe it had a very poor and cheap gearbox bought for it. I didn't own the car then. Was hoping a gear box oil change may help me :/

Also has it had a new radiator, as the earling ones can leak antifreeze into the atf

My S211 was doing some of this too. I replaced the electro plate lockup solenoid and electrical connector did the fluid and filter while at it and all has been silky and fine for last 6k miles. Total cost for parts was about £250 a d took me 4 hours.
So it might not be a write off just yet

I wonder if the correct box was fitted? You need to get some codes read to see what it's throwing up.

Thanks every1, all your comments have been great and gave me much more knowledge on the gearbox. I'll check all these things. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom