Gear for overtaking at 40mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
E63 W211
I want to canvass the opinion of the forum of m156 amg owners on which gear is preferable to overtake from 40mph. This speed seems like a bit of a grey area caught between two stools. Below is an easy 2nd and above is clearly 3rd.

Imagine the all to common situation of coming up behind the standard 40mph dawdler on a B road. To overtake from this speed both 2nd or 3rd have their pros and cons. 2nd obviously gives the quickest initial acceleration but I find can this can be slightly savage in that you have to position the car before pressing the accelerator. 3rd on the other hand allows a more fluid overtake although the trade off is slower acceleration as it 40mph the rpm is below peak torque.

What would be people’s preference maybe I’m overthinking this but
Id like to throw the floor open to hear peoples opinions...

If you are reading the road properly and the limit is higher than 40mph then there should be no need to accelerate harshly from 40mph - you should be approaching at a suitable speed to pass.

Speed limit being 60mph sorry I should of made clear. Obviously don’t condone overtaking if it was a 40 limit. The reason for asking is I believe selecting a gear beforehand is safer than just mashing the throttle and seeing what happens if nothing else to prevent the car kicking down mid overtake.

There's some seriously boring people hanging about in the AMG lounge...

I find 3rd is plenty 90% of the time. You should be a couple of car lengths back for visibility so can already get good closing speed before you move out and are then into the POWER!

On the odd occasion where space is a bit short you can use 2nd but watch out for the back end squirming as you cross the white lines.

Just drop the hammer and give the car you overtake all 4 barrels :banana::thumb:

That's what I do. It's a good point you make. I find it depends on what setting the gearbox is actually in also. I do like the feeling of dropping a gear and overtaking it's more fun and you get more exhaust tone :D

I can see a few people who need to brush up on their correct driving technique..

Visibility

Indicate

Move to overtake position (ie other lane)

Then accelerate...

Agreed, and your 3rd point is even more important when driving a powerful car. Should be set up and straight before accelerating.

There's some seriously boring people hanging about in the AMG lounge...

I find 3rd is plenty 90% of the time. You should be a couple of car lengths back for visibility so can already get good closing speed before you move out and are then into the POWER!

On the odd occasion where space is a bit short you can use 2nd but watch out for the back end squirming as you cross the white lines.

Other members might use the forum differently to you.

Most of us click new posts and browse the latest which is why it's sometimes a surprise to find ourselves in the AMG lounge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other members might use the forum differently to you.

Most of us click new posts and browse the latest which is why it's sometimes a surprise to find ourselves in the AMG lounge.
Yes, but you still know what the sub section you're in is when you post. Answering you'd rather sit at 40mph is clearly not what people with AMG cars would do so what value are you adding by posting that?

I only browse the AMG lounge as the rest of the stuff on here tends to be mind numbingly mundane...

Yes, but you still know what the sub section you're in is when you post. Answering you'd rather sit at 40mph is clearly not what people with AMG cars would do so what value are you adding by posting that?

I only browse the AMG lounge as the rest of the stuff on here tends to be mind numbingly mundane...
What are you on about now?
I never said anything about not overtaking, I’m actually a rather enthusiastic overtaker.

You have a private lounge to use if you yearn exclusively that much.

2nd obviously gives the quickest initial acceleration but I find can this can be slightly savage in that you have to position the car before pressing the accelerator.
I don't want to be offensive, but it sounds like you need to practice modulating the throttle pedal. It's not an on/off switch.

Make the time you are in the incorrect lane as short as possible, is the safest way, no in point dawdling, some idiot like yourself may be coming towards you.

Speed limit being 60mph sorry I should of made clear. Obviously don’t condone overtaking if it was a 40 limit. The reason for asking is I believe selecting a gear beforehand is safer than just mashing the throttle and seeing what happens if nothing else to prevent the car kicking down mid overtake.
No need to mash the throttle. Just prod it, let the gearbox decide and go. It will not kickdown mid overtake unless your pedal is to the metal...and why would it need to be at 40? You are definitely over thinking this. And if you think preselecting is safer...then maybe the manoeuvre is not safe in the first place.

I can see a few people who need to brush up on their correct driving technique..

Visibility

Indicate

Move to overtake position (ie other lane)

Then accelerate...
I can’t fully agree with that. You correctly state the overtaking process starting with visibility (observation) and then indication. But it’s better to have started the acceleration stage whilst still well back from the vehicle being overtaken. In this way you should be up to a safe overtaking speed BEFORE pulling out to overtake, resulting in less time being spent on the wrong side of the road.

I can’t fully agree with that. You correctly state the overtaking process starting with visibility (observation) and then indication. But it’s better to have started the acceleration stage whilst still well back from the vehicle being overtaken. In this way you should be up to a safe overtaking speed BEFORE pulling out to overtake, resulting in less time being spent on the wrong side of the road.

My preferred technique also (but with less emphasis on acceleration, more on carrying the existing speed as I don't have circa 500hp to call on) but it carries the significant risk of one of the vehicles being overtaken's driver finally waking up to an overtaking opportunity and pulling out without either checking or caring that I am closing in on them. It is a very difficult situation to deal with when it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom