Gear lever gate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wezzel

Car
C220 cdi Sport Estate
I've recently bought my first Merc a black C220 CDi sport estate. I'm delighted with the car and got it for a snip due to the 'starship' mileage of 135k (on a T plate) :)

As I get used to the car I have started to notice all the little things that are not quite right. Today's little find was that the little shutter is missing from the auto box's gear lever gate. It looks like at some point it had come adrift from the lever shaft and is mangled up at one end. This is not really a problem as the alloy 'gubbins' inside looks quite cool but I suppose I should try to replace it to keep the dust out.

I have had the plastic trim off but didn't manage to get the housing apart due to a lack of hands (trying to prise open 8 plastic clips all at the same time!). In any case, when I do I'm not likely to be able to buy a replacement shutter. Or am I?

Don't get me started on the stupid shutter! I bought one for my w202 when I bought the car, they cost about £5.

To fit? You have to completely disassemble the shift lever mechanism! I got as far as seeing the road under the car with the mechanism in bits in my hand and I STILL couldn't fit the shutter! :(

I have since seen diagrams that have shown how the mechanism assembles and I might try again, will take pics etc if I attempt it :)

Good luck! Want the part number?

jeffreyli86 said:
What shutter are you guys talking about?
The W/S switch?

the bit of plastic(?) that moves around when you move the shifter around. It covers up the gap in the shifter gate so dust etc doesnt get into the mechanism.

lluckly mines perfect :p :rock:

Da*n mine hasn't got it !!

Is it because mine is a cheap old W124?

jeffreyli86 said:

Is it because mine is a cheap old W124?
Yours might also have broken, or it may never have been equipped with one but it may be possible to retrofit.

Mine was split into two pieces and was removed by pulling the broken bits out of the housing. It has to be threaded inside the housing and the lever obviously has to go through the loop in the middle of the strip. That's the tricky bit :)

I wonder if something involving fishing line and superglue could be used instead of taking the transmission selector mech apart again...

Thanks very much. The part number would be handy Shude but I don't think I'll be in a hurry to replace it. Perhaps when the sun is shining and I'm feeling exceptionally patient. In the meantime I'll be careful to avoid dropping anything down the hole!

Is it because mine is a cheap old W124
my w124 hasent got one, i didn't now there was sucha thing but ill try and get one now - should stop it filling up with chewing gum wrappers, nut shells and fluff!

there isn't one on the W124 :)

(well not as far as I know)

all the junk and stuff falls into a rubber thing which protects the mechanism. You can get this out and clean it but it's a fiddly job.

Andy

oh poo :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom