Gear selector indicator & W/S switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul

Car
2011 E220
On my car the gear selector indicator and the W/S switch is on the right of the gear selector as it should be for a right hand drive car.

But, I've noticed talking to people that it appears just about everyone else has their's on the left side as per L/hand drive cars.

Surely I cant be the only one lucky enough to have it positioned correctly?

The W/S switch is on the right of my gear selector.

I was doing that test aswell, but gave up coz i dont like the way the car drives in W, it feels really slow.

Mine is on the right too.

I have also tried leaving it in W to see if economy was any better but got fed up with it being sooooo sssslllllllooooooooooooowwww.:D

S/W switch

My C220CDI Sport Coupe has the switch on the LHS.I did try running in 'W' mode to improve MPG but got fed up with the poor performance.:(

Re: S/W switch

Originally posted by Frank
I did try running in 'W' mode to improve MPG but got fed up with the poor performance.:(

When I bought the car it was in W mode, I think because the previous owner had it valeted before I picked it up and they might have switched it by mistake while cleaning. I drove it like that for about 2 weeks without realising and then while checking for something else in the manual I found the section on the W/S button. I immediately ran out to the car and pressed the button in the S direction, then took it for a blast! It's literally twice as fast with it in S mode :rolleyes: :)

So it seems that towards the late 1990's MB decieded not to bother with us right hand drive owners.

Could this be yet more cost cutting, well done MB no expense spared as usual.

Mine is on the right.

switch.jpg

Hidden away on LHS on both of mine. E/S (Economy/Sport?) rather than W/S on the older motors.

Re: S/W switch

Originally posted by Frank
My C220CDI Sport Coupe has the switch on the LHS.I did try running in 'W' mode to improve MPG but got fed up with the poor performance.:(

You won't save mpg in W "Winter" because it starts off in second gear to stop slippage, all other changes are earlier too.

Re: Re: S/W switch

Originally posted by Brian WH
You won't save mpg in W "Winter" because it starts off in second gear to stop slippage, all other changes are earlier too.

That's the theory of Winter mode being more economical, it changes gear sooner so won't rev the engine so much and is more reluctant to kickdown unless really booted.

It used to be called 'S'port and 'E'conomy mode and is basically the same but MB decided to call it 'W'inter and 'S'ummer mode.:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom