Gear shift lever stuck in after centre console removal. SL500 R230 facelift (2010).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jfb1977

Car
SL350 R230
So did a very annoying complicated job to replace my cup holders as the nice damping slow open had stopped working and it crudely flipped open instantly - minor - most people wouldn't bother changing it - but I'm a perfectionist so I did. I had I realised QUITE how involved the job was and how many hours of my weekend it would eat I wouldn't have bothered! Anyway, got it all done. All sorted.

But now have a very weird issue.

Had to take the gear shifter off to get under the centre console to get the underside of the cup holder and remove it. Easy enough, remove the gaiter, unlock the plastic lock, pull off gear knob. Easy.

Got everything back together fine, but the lever on the gear shift you pull to change gear is now stuck in the in the 'in' position and therefore the car is stuck in park.

If I take the gear knob off and just use the metal stick, lifting the plastic bit on top first, it changes gear and drives fine (which feels weird without a proper gear shifter) - so nothing is 'broken' with the gear box, I can't get the gear knob back on with the lever out! I'll add some photos / vids soon so it makes more sense.

But any ideas? It's very odd.

So did a very annoying complicated job to replace my cup holders as the nice damping slow open had stopped working and it crudely flipped open instantly - minor - most people wouldn't bother changing it - but I'm a perfectionist so I did. I had I realised QUITE how involved the job was and how many hours of my weekend it would eat I wouldn't have bothered! Anyway, got it all done. All sorted.

But now have a very weird issue.

Had to take the gear shifter off to get under the centre console to get the underside of the cup holder and remove it. Easy enough, remove the gaiter, unlock the plastic lock, pull off gear knob. Easy.

Got everything back together fine, but the lever on the gear shift you pull to change gear is now stuck in the in the 'in' position and therefore the car is stuck in park.

If I take the gear knob off and just use the metal stick, lifting the plastic bit on top first, it changes gear and drives fine (which feels weird without a proper gear shifter) - so nothing is 'broken' with the gear box, I can't get the gear knob back on with the lever out! I'll add some photos / vids soon so it makes more sense.

But any ideas? It's very odd.
Ignore - posted in the wrong FORUM!!! Idiot. Sorry. The issue is with my Audi A6 - I think I might be a little tired......

Ah ha! Was struggling to visualise what on earth you were talking about. Makes perfect sense now!
You need to pull the trigger out before you drop the knob back on the stick. It isn’t easy to do. Good luck!

Such a pillock. How do you delete threads?

It’s because I’d been writing the advert for selling my wife’s 2010 facelift SL500 which I was going to post on here that it was in my head.

And you’re right. It was a fiddle sorting the A6. Bit got it sorted in 5 mins. Happy man.

If a little tired and stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom