Gearbox / Brakes Judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GMC

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone else had had a similar problem with a mysterious judder on my c250 td estate auto

I've noticed recently when the car is warming up, that when I pull up at lights etc and keep my foot on the brake when in Drive, that a judder / vibration develops, stops if I shift into neutral or park. Gear change when driving is fine, so not sure if this is an early gearbox problem or brakes etc.

Anyone else had anything similar

I had exactly the same symptom, felt mostly through the pedal. The engine wasn't mis-firing, it eventually turned out to be low ATF caused by a slow leak at the radiator.

Change the Automatic Transmission Fluid - should sort it out.

Last edited:
Does it shake excessivly on start up?

If it does look at the engine mounts and the gearbox mount.

Have to agree with the general opinion, i would also suggest engine mount.

You should feel a thud when you give it a cold start and same when you switch it off.

I had the same symptoms on my C250, turned out the driver's side mount was completely knackered. Aparently the driver's side is more prone to failure due to the turbo and exhaust weight, so i've been told.

Another way to check is put your left foot on the brake and put the car in D. Hit the gas pedal with the right foot slowly. If you're mounts are shot you should get a vibration through the front of the car.

Does the vibration pass if you wait long enough?

Also when you pull away after the vibration does the engine seem to over-rev before changing up a gear, with lots of revs and very little go?

Cheers for the feedback and apologies for not replying earlie. A bit more background.

I had the gearbox oil changed about 30,000 miles ago and had been assuming that I would get another 30 thou or so. What sort of milage does the oil need changing at??

Once the engine etc has warmed up the problem does dissappear and as the car is warming up the vibration does gradual reduce until it dissappears when fully warm.

I'm not really to familiar with how auto boxes work, but the best way I can describe the vibration and its affect is like the reverse of a slipping clutch, ie instead of the clutch slipping it is like the clutch is trying to engage. When its happening the engine revs do drop very slightly and it feels like the car is trying to move off and is being held back by the brakes. Not sure if that makes sense but there you go

I've not checked out the engine mounts but the vibration is not evident when reving the engine or driving at various rev ranges and I had suspected that if there was engine mount problems then it would be noticeable in more circumstances.

Other than this issue the gearbox performs as it always has without any other oddities etc

So any more thoughts / comments

cheers

GMC

Hi all

latest update to where we are,

vibration still happening when the engine is cold. I've had the gearbox oil checked, it was a bit low, had it topped up, but the vibration is still there, cars going into an indie this week for a look see, so will see what happens next, my wallett is very nervous:crazy:

It sounds like the torque converter is transmitting a bit of drive. You can feel this especially if you let the car creep very slightly on the brakes.

It sounds like the torque converter is transmitting a bit of drive. You can feel this especially if you let the car creep very slightly on the brakes.

any idea what the solution and cost is in the region of?

If its torque convertor then a new one from Mb is £837 plus vat. Fitting is about 4 1/2 hours labour.

Hi all

cars been in for new wishbones on the front suspension and a look into the vibration. Had the o/s engine mount changed and the vibration has gone so guess this was the problem.

Thanks for all the replies;)

GMc

Hi i have a Sl500 with the same fault . vibration seams to come from the gearbox but not sure . when you rev it you can feel and hear it . Drivers fine tho . engine mount and gearbox seems ok .

Any comments please that may help

thanks

Last edited:
AMG.Sport said:
Hi i have a Sl500 with the same fault . vibration seams to come from the gearbox but not sure . when you rev it you can feel and hear it . Drivers fine tho . engine mount and gearbox seems ok . Any comments please that may help thanks

Mounts seem ok ? How old and how many miles on them ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom