Gearbox change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alaska

Car
E320 w211
Please help, I've just changed the gearbox and torque converter on my 2003 w211 e320cdi and the car won't start, both batteries have been tested comes back as good, what am I missing.

A engine?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi,
You say it will not start, you need to give us some more information such as, Does the starter motor turn the engine over ?? If not, have you left off an earth lead somewhere? When you took out the gearbox, was the engine left just hanging? Have you accidentally pulled off any wires when you was wriggling the box out or putting it back in?
If the starter turns the motor over, again check for pulled wires or a blown fuse. Is diesel getting up to the high pressure pump ? Is diesel reaching the injectors ??
Going through that lot will keep you busy for a while. ! ........and welcome to the Forum.
Steve

Thanks got it running, ahem forgot the earth wire. All ok except a bit of a strange noise when the car is moving and I take my foot of the throttle. Can anyone tell me how much fluid should go in the gearbox 722.626

You need a dipstick to check the ATF level. I think to fill the box and TC from empty is 8 Litres, overfilling is not good for them.

Hi,
Just to add to the above ^, that you can get a dipstick off of your favourite auction site, they vary in quality, the cheapest being no more than some curtain wire, marked at the end.
You need to follow the correct procedure for checking the level and filling it, or taking some out, look in either your handbook or search on google, which will probably bring up a forum post on here.
Describe your noise,.......... if it has happened since you put the auto box back in then perhaps something is loose or perhaps the auto box mount has not seated itself. Back underneath I think, with a pry bar and give everything a good levering.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom