Gearbox fault after Dpf clean???

Discussion in 'Engine' started by MerKi, Sep 6, 2018.

1. MerKi

MerKi New Member

Car:
    W204 c class
    Hi. New to the forum I hope someone can help.

W204 C class went into limp mode... Dpf problem.... Replaced Dpf with original part at an indie.... Then started showing a fault with cylinder 1 but the mechanic said it shouldn't be a problem to drive.

Skip forward a few months, EML on again... Dpf 400% full and regeneration can't be forced... Took it to dpfcleaned.co.uk today, had it removed/cleaned/refit and drove back fine... Get to my house and park... Get a LOUD knocking when put in reverse gear. No issues in any other gear. NEVER had any issues other than Dpf/cylinder 1 prior to this.

The problem sounds similar to this .
    Could this be something to do with the Dpf not being reconnected properly or is this just an unlucky coincidence?

2. skippyjasper

skippyjasper Active Member

I think the DPF may not have been fitted properly or a heat shield is ajar.
    Skippy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Not sure about the transmission issue, but could it be that your car stopped regenerating at some point, destroying the original DPF as well as the new one...? I would prioritise looking for an underlying issue that may have caused the successive DPF failures.

4. OP
    OP
    MerKi

MerKi New Member

Car:
    W204 c class
    Thanks. I'll take it back to them to tighten up.

I'm thinking it has to be the problem with cylinder 1, although since the Dpf was cleaned, that code has not come back. (Just did a scan with ICarSoft to be sure). I did find a hose with a hole in it earlier when looking for the Dpf sensor so I'm thinking air might be escaping or something. Need to get the car serviced anyway so I'll get it looked at properly next week. Thanks for your help.

5. stevengarner

stevengarner Member

Car:
    E63
    I had this on a Range Rover Vogue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. OP
    OP
    MerKi

MerKi New Member

Car:
    W204 c class
    How did you sort it?

7. stevengarner

stevengarner Member

Car:
    E63
    Ended up having to change the DPF. Horrible experience with the whole car that I’m sure you’ll not have, led me to sell it and buy my E63 - which I’ve never had an issue with! I ended up with some good advice from Les Paul just outside of London

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. OP
    OP
    MerKi

MerKi New Member

Car:
    W204 c class
    As an update to this, after getting the service the mechanic found some faults. The knocking sound was resolved by replacing the right hand side drop link. I'm still having and issue but nothing to do with the dpf so far.

9. HITECH

HITECH Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C220 CDI
    400% is usually a false reading. Be realistic. If a DPF even got to 200% full can u imagine the smoke and how badly it would start to run gradually not all of a sudden. Has the DPF pressure sensor been replaced ? 1st thing to try is disconnect your MAF. Then see if it runs in limp mode or not. DPF sensor AND MAF are 2 simple things to check first. the MAF is uncommon to go but i recently had a similar problem to urs which turned out to be the MAF which had pewed up all sorts of false error codes PLUS saying the DPF was 400% full.

10. Gazwould

Gazwould Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S204 C250 CDI AMG Sport
    Bang on as per usual MJ .

Every day is a dpf and egr day !

The acute issue , the cause must be diagnosed correctly to diagnose dpf death .

Problems can be numerous , from pressure sensor , maf , thermostat or as simple as a boost leak.

Any fuel enrichment or extra soot and it's the grim reaper .

All too often short journeys are the scapegoat.

Dpf's could technically last 250K + if you drove a petrol car to the shops and did regular motorway at 70-85 mph .

As was the case by an irritating Audi A3 driver which amounted to willy waving in a pub .

11. OP
    OP
    MerKi

MerKi New Member

Car:
    W204 c class
    It could be the MAF. When I put my foot down, if I have less than half a tank, I often get the management light come on. I Get one of 3 codes come up usually (don't have then to hand right now). Obe of the codes say the problem is with one of the cylinders but I had them checked on star (at a merc approved indy) and they are fine.

Dpf sensor was the first thing to get changed. Then the dpf (which turned out to be cracked so needed to be changed anyway).

I dont drive much but tend to do a motorway drive once a week (30 miles eachway) so I don't think the few short journeys I do should have a bad effect.

After getting a service I've been told the "flexi part at the front of exhaust" has a hole and needs to be changed. But I couldn't work out the part number, Mercedes were less than helpful (surprising considering the amount of service parts I'd just ordered from them) and since then my financial situation has put it lower on my priority list.

12. HITECH

Car:
    C220 CDI
    If you give me VIN of your car here I will tell you exactly the part numbers for any parts you need.

13. Fonz600

Fonz600 New Member

Car:
    C class w204
    Sorry to hijack but I have a similar prob. DPF reading 360%, car doesn’t smoke in the slightest but it is in limp mode. I’ve replaced the dpf sensor just a couple days ago. I cleared the eml code using a vagcom which I already have for my other car but it doesn’t take vehicle out of limp mode so can’t do the MAF check you mentioned.

14. HITECH

Car:
    C220 CDI
    Yes you can disconnect the MAF. Disconnect ur negative on your battery. Unplug your large MAF connector. re-connect negative battery terminal. start car and check in limp mode or not. People have to post DTC error codes in here to simplify the problem for people to help.

15. Fonz600

Fonz600 New Member

Car:
    C class w204
    The fault code shown is p2463 excessive soot accumulation

I cleared the code, disconnected negative lead, disconnected the MAF sensor and reconnected the negative lead.
    Car is still in limp mode.

16. Fonz600

Fonz600 New Member

Car:
    C class w204
    Codes after disconnecting were:-

P2463 - DPF Excessive Soot Accumulation
    P0113 - Intake Air Temp signal too high
    P0103 - Mass Air Flow signal too high

17. HITECH

Car:
    C220 CDI

18. Fonz600

Fonz600 New Member

Car:
    C class w204
    I did it in the order suggested. Car was still in limp mode despite the eml being out but guessing the codes were pending as came on after the next run.
    I’m going to try it again tomorrow though to make sure.

19. Fonz600

Fonz600 New Member

Car:
    C class w204
    I’ve ran the car for a couple days now with the MAF disconnected and reset the codes a few times as well as disconnecting the battery. Car has never came out limp mode and same 3 codes pop up as above.