Gearbox issue, can't won't start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TTManUK

Car
C63 AMG
I've got a weird problem with my car which I'm hoping one of you may be able to enlighten me on. The gearbox basically seems to have become "out of sync" for want of a better way to explain it - the dash display shows the car is in S (drive), the gear stick itself is in P, but the car can be rolled so presumably is actually in N. With the software thinking the car is in drive, I can't start the car. Aside from leaving the battery unplugged for a few hours to attempt a "reset" of sorts, does anyone have any suggestions as to what is going on here and what I can do to sort it?

Thanks, I'm not sure that covers me issue though as I can freely move the gear selector between P - R - N - D, just nothing happens with the actual gearbox or the digital display when I do so. At least if it is the issue you mentioned, any decent mechanic or (god forbid I have to go there) main dealer should be able to sort it pretty quick

Has anything been spilt around the gear selector recently?

There have been cases were liquids have seeped under the surround and affected the electronics beneath.

Sometimes this can be sorted by using lots of contact cleaner.

It might help you receive more specific replies if you told us which model etc you are referring to.

Apologies it's a w204 C63. I drove the car to my friends and this behaviour occured after trying to restart on his driveway after being fine literally 5 mins before, so definitely not spillage related. No errors on the dash either. Have left the car battery disconnected long enough to lose the time, still the same behaviour. Looks like I'm destined for a low loader :wallbash:

Apologies it's a w204 C63. I drove the car to my friends and this behaviour occured after trying to restart on his driveway after being fine literally 5 mins before, so definitely not spillage related. No errors on the dash either. Have left the car battery disconnected long enough to lose the time, still the same behaviour. Looks like I'm destined for a low loader :wallbash:
Has the car been serviced by Mercedes in the past 12 months?

If so you can call out Mobilo recovery free and they should carry a Mercedes diagnostic computer.

Unfortunately not, all recent servicing done by MSL
Ah.
Hopefully you have some warranty on the car 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom