gearbox judder passing 40mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dashhouse

I have a 2003 e320cdi with 100,000 miles. When I am accelerating gently through 40mph the car judders and then smooths out as I get faster. The problem feels drivetrain related rather than engine or wheels. It is not the end of the world, but is irritating. Has anyone come across this before and if so, do you know of a fix?

Many thanks in anticipation

Have the gearbox ATF checked for glycol contamination. There is a known fault where the radiator leaks glycol into the gearbox and this contaminates the torque converter and gearbox clutch friction material.

MB MAY make a contribution towards the repair as it's a known fault if your car has a VAleo radiator.

Unfortunately your car is right in the build slot for bad radiators.

........and if you decide to DIY, I have the filter kit and Fuchs oil in stock at the right member discount price if I am allowed to say it.

Plug

Plug

Plug

thank you both for the very prompt replies. I'm pretty good at emptying the ashtrays and topping-up the washer-bottle thingy, but not much else, so I think the DIY option is out. Thanks for the offer, though. Regarding the contaminant, you say MB might make a contribution towards the cost of repair; that rather suggests it is going to be expensive - ouch! what is involved?

If I'm right in thinking....if its got a glycol leak and its wrecked the box, then its @ £6500....if its just the torque convertor + clean, then its @ £2500.

Get it looked at pronto to avoid any further damage.

I think your figures are a bit overboard there Vlad but £4500 for box and 'verter are in the right region.

Blimey! That's serious money! I have a third-party warranty with Warrantydirect, which covers transmission,etc, so I think I will throw the problem at them. The limit is £5000/claim, which could be close. All of a sudden £50/month doesn't seem so expensive.Thanks everyone for all your help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom