Gearbox lovin'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLWoodie

Car
1990 230E Smoke sivler phat rims
I have a w124 230e 1990 with an autobox (ofcourse), I was wondering about corect care when driving. I'm sure most ppl think auto = stick it in drive and push go or stop pedals acordingly, but I am an advanced driver and take much pride and care in my driving and my car. I have discovered already that good throtle control equates to smooth changes while in D.

But there are things that I have been told on which I would like your opinions:

1) "When engaging D from N you must push the brake while the gear is fully engaged so to prevent strain on the gearbox". Obviously you have to push the brake to be able to select D, but as D is selected I can feel the gear engage, followed shortly by the drive onto the fixed wheels (which can be quite agressive). If I let off the brake after the gear is engaged but before drive is taken up (unless on an incline!), the drive takes up onto the freewheels and feels more comfotable for the box.

2) "Manually selecting gears should be used sparingly as it puts strain on the gearbox". I don't see why it should.

3) "You can not rev match maunual down changes". I have found that timing does allow me to rev match the road speed for the gear to be selected, resulting in smooth changes manually selected down the box, should this not be done?

Please offer any thoughts on the above points, and add any ideas about how to maximise performace or best care of a merc auto box.

Last edited:
DLWoodie said:
I have a w124 230e 1990 with an autobox (ofcourse), I was wondering about corect care when driving. I'm sure most ppl think auto = stick it in drive and push go or stop pedals acordingly, but I am an advanced driver and take much pride and care in my driving and my car. I have discovered already that good throtle control equates to smooth changes while in D.

But there are things that I have been told on which I would like your opinions:

1) "When engaging D from N you must push the brake while the gear is fully engaged so to prevent strain on the gearbox". Obviously you have to push the brake to be able to select D, but as D is selected I can feel the gear engage, followed shortly by the drive onto the fixed wheels (which can be quite agressive). If I let off the brake after the gear is engaged but before drive is taken up (unless on an incline!), the drive takes up onto the freewheels and feels more comfotable for the box.

2) "Manually selecting gears should be used sparingly as it puts strain on the gearbox". I don't see why it should.

3) "You can not rev match maunual down changes". I have found that timing does allow me to rev match the road speed for the gear to be selected, resulting in smooth changes manually selected down the box, should this not be done?

Please offer any thoughts on the above points, and add any ideas about how to maximise performace or best care of a merc auto box.

I cant offer you any advice mate. But , at last!! Someone else who shares my views about changeing down in an auto!!! Like you say, if you match the revs to the manual changedown, the change becomes seemless and puts no stress on the gearbox at all.

If you look at the selecter gate, it is designed so you can slide between 3rd and 4th. I know of a few other owners that have done this for years without any problems at all. One doesnt even match the revs to the downchange!!

Stu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom