Gearbox/MAF/Who knows !!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidoff

Car
C180 PanEvo Kom coupe
Hi All...

I need some help with problems with my Auto 5 speed tiptronic box.

I have had a look at most of the threads relating to gearbox problem and MAF problems that may be connected with gearbox problems.

I have a very nice late 2002 C180 coupe, it's been well looked after by me and it's previous hairdresser owner, with 15000 miles on the clock it's in great condition.

My main problem, i think, is i believe that some of the gears are slipping.
It seems to slip going into 2 and 3rd. At the start of the change it slips followed by a harsh jolt.
But sometimes even when it seems to have engaged, and you but your foot down it slips again followed by the jerk. You can offen see the rev counter moving up and down for a second until it's engaged properly or moved up to a higher gear.
I have also complained that the gear changes are a bit slow...
The gearbox also doesn't like to change down into a lower gear very much only when the car is coming to a complete stop ,for traffic lights etc, does it change down. This means i have to kick down a lot to get the thing into a suitable gear to accelerate.

The car has been to thr dealer many times for it to be checked, and they have said everything checks out okay according to the computer with no faults being recorded. All pipes have been looked at and are okay.

The dealer will not investigate unless an fault is identified by the computer or it slaps them in the face, as they would not be paid by Mercedes for the work.
They tell me that this is a very good gearbox and they/Mercedes have not come accross any similar faults, so i will have to wait for other people to complain.
The car is going back in for another look on the 18th May, and i would like to go in armed with possible fixes for the problems.....Any ideas??????????

Could the MAF be a possible cause???
Or the Oil may be?????
How about something inside the box?? what mechanically changes the gears inside the box, could that be where the problem lies? a solinoid maybe/

Any help would be very much appreciated, or is there anyone in Mercedes i could speak to about faults.

Cheers

Dave

Hmm.

It could be the MAF or the valve body in the box.

change atf seems like cvb and debris in the atf did you know that the atf is monitered by a computer and it is typical no fault code then no fault ummm

silverarrow said:
change atf seems like cvb and debris in the atf did you know that the atf is monitered by a computer and it is typical no fault code then no fault ummm

I will insist that they change the ATF at least to try and get the thing fixed..

Can you tell me the difference between the MAS and MAF or are they the same thing?????

When a gear changes, does the car also rock forwards and backwards a little? or make a thump sound from the rear?

Davidoff said:
Can you tell me the difference between the MAS and MAF or are they the same thing?????

Same thing as far as I am aware

zishan03 said:
When a gear changes, does the car also rock forwards and backwards a little? or make a thump sound from the rear?

Mine seams like the gears ara slipping to me, yes they do snatch and it gets a bit jerky, but i would call it a thump as such.

Could it possibly be related to the traction control, or tyres.

What you say is happening sounds like what happens when the traction control has to kick in.

I'm probably way off base but thought i'd say it anyway.

Zishan

zishan03 said:
Could it possibly be related to the traction control, or tyres.

What you say is happening sounds like what happens when the traction control has to kick in.

I'm probably way off base but thought i'd say it anyway.

Zishan

No it's not the traction control i'm sure, the gears slip while changing from 1-2 and 2-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom