Gearbox noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Markw70

Car
E220d AMG Line Coupe
Hope someone can help. I have a 2016 220d e class coupe and If the car is facing front down hill (or even the slightest slope) and I move the auto box from P to drive there’s a clunk, it doesn’t seem to do it at any other time. Anyone got any ideas what the issue might be, the cars under an approved used 12mth warranty so I will probably book it in, but I was just trying to get an idea what it might be before hand. Also if you take your car in under warranty, and they say there’s no issue do you get changed for the investigation? Thanks in advance. Mark

Hope someone can help. I have a 2016 220d e class coupe and If the car is facing front down hill (or even the slightest slope) and I move the auto box from P to drive there’s a clunk, it doesn’t seem to do it at any other time. Anyone got any ideas what the issue might be, the cars under an approved used 12mth warranty so I will probably book it in, but I was just trying to get an idea what it might be before hand. Also if you take your car in under warranty, and they say there’s no issue do you get changed for the investigation? Thanks in advance. Mark
Is it the rear brake releasing , that makes the noise ?

I’ve done some more research and I think (& hope) I’ve solved my own question. Since I bought the car I have had suspicions that the foot operated parking brake is weak and needs adjustment, but because I always put the gearbox in park it’s never been an issue. A few people reported that on a slope if you put the gearbox in park and then use a weak foot parking brake the car settles and the weight of the car because of the slope is transferred to the pin that locks the auto gearbox box. The clunk is the pin being removed (with the weight on it) when you put it back in drive. So I intend finding a hill put the car in neutral, apply the foot operated brake and see how bad the brake is. Looking at the service history it had new rear pads in May this year, so the pads are good, but might need adjustment. Mark

Yes not a great thing to do sending the parking prawl into the box to park on a slope,are you saying that a 2016 E220 has a foot operated parking brake,I must admit I thought that car would of had a electronic parking brake,but hey new pads fitted will I suspect need adjustment,after they do that find a steep hill and try it out :D

That's exactly what mine does, I have no choice as I live on a slope and my drive is sloped. The merc parking brake is pretty useless, I have to give it such a shove to even think about holding the car, mostly it doesn't.
It passes the MOT every year with the parking brake like this as it is and is well within allowed tolerances for braking force, I have had it checked. So when I go from P to D I always get a clunk, been this way for 2.5 years now and I hate it every time I do it but I don't have a lot of options.

That's exactly what mine does, I have no choice as I live on a slope and my drive is sloped. The merc parking brake is pretty useless, I have to give it such a shove to even think about holding the car, mostly it doesn't.
It passes the MOT every year with the parking brake like this as it is and is well within allowed tolerances for braking force, I have had it checked. So when I go from P to D I always get a clunk, been this way for 2.5 years now and I hate it every time I do it but I don't have a lot of options.
Thanks for the reply, at least it’s not just mine then. I thought it was because I’d not got any feedback from anyone else with the same problem before yourself. It’s definitely not a nice sound when it does it, it’s the sort of sound you definitely think that can’t be doing any good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom