Gearbox Noise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boffin486

Car
CL220, W203 Sports Coupe, Also Audi A4 B7 Avant Quattro & 3 Calibras
Hi folks, I am looking for some ideas on a noise I am hearing (but can't pinpoint) from under the car? 😟
I think it might be the gearbox & it is a 'chittering' kind of noise (not loud) that you hear when going slowly with little or no throttle on.
Car drives normally & you don't hear it once you speed up as road/engine noise drowns it out. Maybe gearbox or possibly torque converter?
Anyone?

Well I would first just check that nothing is loose under the car like a heat shield or the like,if you find nothing then has the box had a service,could you lift the drive wheels and then run the car at low speed to get a better idea where the noise is coming from,that might save you some time and money if it has to go to the dealers.

Hi folks, I am looking for some ideas on a noise I am hearing (but can't pinpoint) from under the car? 😟
I think it might be the gearbox & it is a 'chittering' kind of noise (not loud) that you hear when going slowly with little or no throttle on.
Car drives normally & you don't hear it once you speed up as road/engine noise drowns it out. Maybe gearbox or possibly torque converter?
Anyone?
On what car ?

Hi there, it's my C220CDi Coupe & I recently changed the gearbox (old one destroyed by the 'pink death' of coolant contamination) for one I got off fleabay. I drained, cleaned out and replaced the conductor plate & all the solenoids with new before filling it with nice fresh oil. It seems to drive OK - shifts properly up & down but there was a small quantity of iron filings/dust in the drained original oil. Perhaps a bearing on the way out? 😟 I had planned to run for a while then drain/flush the oil again & put fresh in but is it worth it now when there may be something wrong? :mad:
I know nothings loose underneath as I made sure everything was screwed on properly when I rebuilt the car.

Last edited:
Handbrake cable clip broken allowing cable to rub on the driveshaft .?? Yes it produces very odd noises that do not sound like a cable rubbing. On my car it sometimes sounded like a ticking noise in the passenger footwell.

handbrake 2.JPG handbrake.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom