gearbox odd feeling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
gearbox odd feeling? UPDATE

Hello,
Don't know how to call this then here is the best I can explain. This as been going on for awhile. Not more nor less. Same.
Sometimes when I push the pedal at the near stop but going up on speed again, there is a feeling like like the car just got in gear, like a little clunk, and sometimes when I brake, when I am on the near stop the car got a wee momentum like if if there was a wheel still spinning and engaging at the near stop giving the car a little humf forward. Will that be the first gear playing? Asking about the first gear as I don't know for how long the car was on second ( Years?) as the little plunger in the gear shift was glued and therefore always on W, only found out 3 month after having the car.
Thank you.
Olivier

Last edited:
Wear in the propshaft rubber doughnuts, old gearbox ATF, MAF sensor would be my first guesses.

Oil is new ish. Was trully red/ clean when I got it.
I think that MAF might be OK as there is no other signs yet.
I thought of the propshaft, doughnuts? Are they the soft rubbers pads? There was a post on them not too long ago, canno see it anymore?
Easy to replace?
Cheers.
Olivier

Easy as long as you have enough access underneath.

Humm, this will need to go to the indie as the only way I go underneath is with the help of a footpath one wheel on...
I'll see what we can do.
I need 2, do I? I saw Nick has some and at good price.
Cheers. :)
Olivier

You would need to check which one of them is worn and replace as necessary.

Could it be only one might be faulty?
Should I replace the 2 right away while the car is up or this is not necessary?
Cheers.
Olivier

Mine has got a tiny amount of play in the propshaft, and after some pulling and tugging i am pretty certain its coming from the prop sliding joint behind the heat shield, when i say tiny i mean tiny.

Donuts are fine.

Car on 105k.

Sounds like rear of gearbox but if you grip both ends of prop and listen very carefully you can hear the click

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom