Gearbox oil change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There is no dip stick with 7speed

Go by what Olly (BlackC55) says. He works on those cars. :wallbash:

The dipstick you have is for engine oil level. There isn't a dipstick for the 7 speed gearbox ATF level.
Well... that's how I read it. See posts #16 & #20 above!

Last edited:
Cheers guys, think i will just have to let someone do it who noes more as it seems a lot harder than i thought it would be as in drain oil swap filter re fill check. And im new to this forum so don't really no what you mean by #16/#20

Mercedes E320 v6 sport

Go by what Olly (BlackC55) says. He works on those cars. :wallbash:

Well... that's how I read it. See posts #16 & #20 above!

And im new to this forum so don't really no what you mean by #16/#20 [/QUOTE said:
As stated, you were being referred back to post number 16 and 20.

MB really play a blinder sometimes, don't they? I have the M113 engine, which came out of the factory with a dipstick, in my W210, and I had to buy a dipstick for the 5-speed gearbox, so just to stop awkward gits like me becoming complacent, they took the dipstick away from the M113 ENGINE in the W211 as well. They may not want grubby-nailed, oily oiks like me to do their own maintenance, but that's taking the p**s!

At least (once you've bought an engine oil dipstick for it) there's no special procedure for filling the engine oil - so far as I know...

Anyone have an idea on what it would cost to get an auto fluid and filter change on my 2005 CLK200K?

Was getting confused then as mine is a 7g and defiantly has a dipstick (engine). By the way if any1 is clued up on the "engineering mode" on the head unit, I have a topic named (help with secret menu) i could really do with some help on. Thanks guys

Mercedes E320 v6 sport
Tried to PM you but cant until your posts are up a bit..
Here you go..

Oil Check Procedure.
Note: If the engine has just been running, let the vehicle stand for around 10-15 minutes before starting this procedure.

1. Make sure that your display in your cluster is set to the default Outside Temp setting, then turn ignition off.

2. Now turn to position 1

3. Press the 'Reset' push button on the extreme left-hand edge of the instrument cluster quickly 3 times. It will beep and the display will show battery voltage.

4. Turn the ignition key clockwise from position 1 to position 2 (second position).

Press the 'Up Arrow' on the left of the steering wheel ONCE. Hopefully it will show 'Oil level _._l' in the central display area)

Wait for 10 seconds or so for the oil reading to take place.. It will display something like 6.1 litres (or whatever)..

Ideally you want to keep the level between 6 and 6.5 litres (On a C270 cdi).

MB really play a blinder sometimes, don't they? I have the M113 engine, which came out of the factory with a dipstick, in my W210, and I had to buy a dipstick for the 5-speed gearbox, so just to stop awkward gits like me becoming complacent, they took the dipstick away from the M113 ENGINE in the W211 as well. They may not want grubby-nailed, oily oiks like me to do their own maintenance, but that's taking the p**s!

At least (once you've bought an engine oil dipstick for it) there's no special procedure for filling the engine oil - so far as I know...

I'm sure it was done to protect the gear box from "grubby-nailed, oily oiks" who didn't know how to take the correct fluid level reading at 80'
over/under filled them and use incorrect specification oil causing damage.

I'm sure it was done to protect the gear box from "grubby-nailed, oily oiks" who didn't know how to take the correct fluid level reading at 80'
over/under filled them and use incorrect specification oil causing damage.

..I think it may have also been removed in order to stop non-MB mechanics from trying to syphon-out the engine oil though the gearbox filler neck... as happened to a member here a couple of years ago.

Do a Google search and you will find exactly how to change the oil in the 7 speed boxes - Special plastic filler tube that you install inside the pan when it has been removed. To drain the oil you have to break the old plastic tube with a screw driver which is a bit messy.

Found out I do have local indy dealer after all. Right on my doorstep really! I asked about the gearbox fluid and filter change and got the following reply. So I'll not worry just yet but will probably get it changed sooner rather than later.

The 5 speed gearbox on your model does not have a specified gearbox oil service interval ,we normally recommend no more than 100k.
Gear box service is £196.15 inclusive all parts labour and vat, occasionally the gearbox electrical plug is damp/weeping and if so this part can be replaced at the same time as the gearbox service is being done .
The part cost £26.10 inc of vat for the gearbox electrical plug.
All parts used are original equipment from Mercedes Benz and come with 2 years manufactures warranty, we are currently using Fuchs ATF4134 which is the current spec oil for both 7 speed and 5 speed gearbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom