Gearbox Pan Gasket Leaks - Check it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Optimus prime

Car
car
Probably been mentioned before but serious enough to say it again.

The pan gasket on my E63 MCT gearbox failed 6,000 miles after a gearbox service & had it not been for the fact that it was in the air at EMP for exhaust work I would never of known as the drips when stationary were almost zero however the underside and pan were wet with oil.

It would appear that it only leaks when hot and under load & I have no idea how long it has been leaking but the main dealer who did the service is redoing it FOC under the 2yrs parts & labour rule and currently I have a courtesy car.

I would suggest that its checked annually at your MOT and that you get underneath and look, failing that get a telescopic inspection mirror with led from ebay or a selfie stick & use your smart phone. If it is leaking DO NOT try and tighten the aluminium screws as they are a one shot use and you risk snapping them or stripping the gearbox threads.

The Tech I spoke to said that these gearbox's have to have the correct level of oil at all times and if it runs low then you risk damaging the box :eek:, more so if you track you car.

Remember this could go completely unchecked if you passed the 31k mark as typically merc say that you only service these box's once at this mileage and then never touch them again. Mine will be done every 30K

Thanks for the useful advice do you know if there is an overflow system on this gearbox for the oil? The reason I ask is I have just bought an SL 63 with the MCT box and the other day (three days into ownership) I left a smokescreen down the A3M where I live pulled over to discover oil pouring out over the exhaust. I took it straight back to Porsche Portsmouth where I bought it and they in turn sent it to the Mercedes dealer in Oxford who are part of the main group. I got a call the other day to tell me the gearbox had been overfilled and that the oil pouring out was from an overflow. I haven't got the car back yet but wonder if anyone would be able to shed some light on the facts.

Hi,

There is no overflow on my box as the level is checked via the filling hole. If you watch YouTube you will understand what I mean. I would guess the oil forced its way past the gasket and onto the exhaust either side or the secondary cats just behind. Over filling them is bad news I would suggest you get them todo a full gearbox service with a new gasket & bolts

Hi,

There is no overflow on my box as the level is checked via the filling hole. If you watch YouTube you will understand what I mean. I would guess the oil forced its way past the gasket and onto the exhaust either side or the secondary cats just behind. Over filling them is bad news I would suggest you get them todo a full gearbox service with a new gasket & bolts

Thanks a telephone call is in order I think.

Update

Just collected form MB after gearbox leak repair, total different car to drive :bannana: gearbox fantastic and the 3-2 drop or thump as it was if you were not on the brakes has completely gone :thumb: I am guessing that the fluid level was the issue.

Very happy and excellent MB main dealer service :rock:

Just collected form MB after gearbox leak repair, total different car to drive :bannana: gearbox fantastic and the 3-2 drop or thump as it was if you were not on the brakes has completely gone :thumb: I am guessing that the fluid level was the issue.

Very happy and excellent MB main dealer service :rock:

Good news for you, I have just sent a letter asking for confirmation as to what they found after my gearbox smoking/leaking incident. I guess at this stage getting everything in writing is important.

I would get everything in writing if you can I am almost 100% certain these gearboxes don't have any kind of overflow unless something let go at pressure due to the over filling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom