Gearbox problem returns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinytots

Car
2001 E320 CDI AUTO
If anyone has read my previous thread about my W210 E320 CDI gearbox problem and fix, it's back:fail

My gearbox previously stuck in gear after jumping between gears and over revving between 3rd and 4th.

I replaced the gearbox plug, oil and filter and got it put on STAR and got faults cleared. This worked a treat:D

I was leaving a bad junction and accelerated a bit sharpish, as the box changed between 3rd and 4th it over revved and I new it was back :wallbash:

I decided to drive on in the hope it would sort itself (wishful thinking):(

I carried on a further 10 miles while it got progressively worse and eventually stuck in 2nd (I think).:doh:

My next step tomorrow is to drive my son's Clio to Auto Benz garage tomorrow and book another go with the STAR, before I do anything :dk:

Hopefully it will diagnose the problem before I spend anymore dough :doh:

It has been about a week and half since my attempt at a fix:eek:

I think it may be the conductor plate or something worse :mad:

I'll keep you posted:thumb:

Here we go again!!!!!!!

Hey, thanks for the reply on my post the other day..
Yup my car is doing the exact same as yours and I was gonna do what you said change the oil and filters and the plug but now ill have to wait and see..
Alot of people say its the conducter plate and thats alot of money and it has fixed some peoples cars but others say they changed it and still had the problem hmmm..
I hope you get it sorted ita horrible driving like this.

Right,

I took my car today and got it put on STAR, however it did NOT show a fault:doh:

It did reset my gearbox somehow and now it works again. I asked the mechanic to take it up the road and tell me what he thought. He came back and said that the gearbox was slipping from 3rd to 4th. He checked oil level and it was fine. He put it back on STAR and it still didn't show a fault:wallbash:

I asked him what he thought and he said it could be the conductor plate or one of the clutches, but wasn't sure :dk:

He suggested I replace the box with a second hand one, cost £475 including fitting :crazy:

My thought is, what if I'm buying a box that does the same in 6 months :dk:

I can buy a box for £200-£300 and fit it myself, but it's still a gamble
:wallbash:

Anyone have any ideas?????

Here is a series of videos on how to replace the conductor plate. It's not totally comprehensive but gives a good idea of what's involved. I would say its within the capability of a good DIY man if you do a bit of research and chose to go down that route??
[YOUTUBE HD]bdt4g5jqo4E[/YOUTUBE HD]

Cheers mate,

I have watched this twice from start to finish 2 weeks ago and would have no drama's having a go myself, however I found a dozen or so bits of alloy in gearbox sump and feel replacing the conductor plate would be a hiding to nothing.

I have limited dough and to replace the conductor on it's own would be £180+ and if it didn't work I'd still have too replace a £200-£300 gearbox on top of that:dk:

It might be worth taking out the plate and check the contacts :wallbash:

I suspect the worst for your gearbox...sounds like classic symptoms of a dying box

GROBER, I've had it on STAR no faults showing:doh:

VLAD, me thinks you may be right, oh poo :wallbash:

I usually fix a fault by starting with the cheapest thing first, unfortunately, in this case, there all feckin expensive :crazy:

All I need really is a box of Kleenex and a flexible friend :(

Don't replace the conductor plate.

If it's slipping then I expect the clutch plates are worn or it has a lack of oil pressure.

There will be info on a Star about how worn it is. The adaption values should have been looked at not just the codes.

Don't replace the conductor plate.

If it's slipping then I expect the clutch plates are worn or it has a lack of oil pressure.

There will be info on a Star about how worn it is. The adaption values should have been looked at not just the codes.

Hey just wondering if you knew roughly how much it would cost to replace the clutch plates? Thanks

It seems to be just 3-4 gear change.

I've since been told that the problem could be the valve body:dk:

I've got a guy who has a valve body and I may try this, what do you think?

If you have bits of alloy floating around in the sump then the box is history. Get the 2nd hand one.

Last edited:
If you have bits of alloy floating around in the sump then the box is history. Get the 2nd hand one.

I dont think its a clear cut as that, I believe that fine alloy 'shavings' in the sump is 'acceptable' as normal.

Check out the link below, lots of useful info on the 722.6 box.......

"If a silver color is present in the oil it may be a clutch and steels moving up and down on the hub as they are being applied. This is normal!"

"Fine metal particles in the bottom of the pan are allowed. (I think what they mean here is that fine metal particles are considered an "acceptable" condition, do NOT replace transmission, as you will see if you read on:-DG)"

PointedThree - Transmission info from Dan Gillitzer (Gilly)

ps.... Regarding the slip from 3rd to 4th.......I would suspect the valve body rather than the conductor plate

Last edited:
What are the fault codes?

If it is slipping the gearbox has to come out and be stripped and inspected. This will also mean the valve body is checked too. A special machine is used for this. The rest of the inspection will be visual as well as taking measurements. A complete box re-build is about £1500-£1800 FITTED with a re-furbed torque converter.

Metal particles in the sump pan are not good. Very very fine filings are ok. A small amount of clutch plate material is also fine too.

The filings are extremely fine and very few. If laid flat, there wouldn't have been enough debris to cover half your little finger nail.

I checked my oil level again last week and found it was down about 1/2 a litre.

The gear change is still slipping, but not nearly as bad as it was:wallbash:

I found if I ease off the throttle just before the change it hardly slips at all.

There was absolutely no copper filings in the oil at all. This something I new to check and really had a good look for that:thumb:

Is there a gearbox flush available and is Mercedes the only place you can get the gearbox oil?

The oil that is in my box isn't Mercedes, the motor factor I got my oil off said it was the oil listed for my E320 CDI.

It's hard to pay £1500 - £2000 for a recon box when the car is only worth £1400-£1500. I'm afraid these cars are going to fade from existence sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
what did you do in the end mate ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom