gearbox problem w208 clk 320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sattie

Car
CLK 320 Advantgarde Convertible
Hi,

Driving into work, car was perfectly fine until 15 minutes into my journey. I was pulling out onto another road and the car jerked changing gear and now it's stuck in gear, feels like it's not changing up or down at all. I managed to reach 3500rpm and gear was not changing. When I stopped the car moved off slowly, bit like when you are in 2nd or 3rd gear and then start to pull off. I changed the gearbox oil 3 years ago and this, any advice on possible causes and solutions?

TIA

Car drove perfectly fine after work, no issues. Today's journey this morning was also fine.

If it happens again, it will be the conductor/electroplate that will need replacing. If you get the codes read it will most likely show the speed sensor fault.

For now I would leave it but if it happens again, get it to a garage with STAR and get it read

The issue is still there, rough gear change initially while the car is cold. Encoutered randomly loss of drive, I could be driving and then the car will slow down as it's lost gear and pressing the accelerator just causing the over reving with me not moving. At times its stuck in 2nd gear. In most cases stopping turning the car off and the restarting cures the problems, car drives fine but then again my journey to and from work is 25 minutes.

Almost certainly a fault in the speed sensors causing a random break in the RPM signal being sent to the TCU. A common fault, and most likely a small crack or break in the conductor plate such that most of the time the TCU is getting a signal, but every now and then it doesn't so the TCU goes into 'limp mode' to shut down and protect the gearbox mechanically.

Switching off the engine and restarting resets this fault, and since the fault is intermittent, the car will normally start off fine until the next interruption in the signals. Supposedly this will only get worse - meaning this fault will occur more and more frequently until your car is not so driveable.

Get it to someone with a Star diagnostic computer to read the gearbox code and get this seen to before this problem resort into a more permanent or costly damage.

With the mechanic to investigate, should find out more on Monday.

If it turns out to be the conductor plate needing replacing, make sure you take the opportunity to replace the transmission fluid and filter. There should not be any additional labour charges for this, but just the additional material costs (oil and filter) since your mechanic will need to drain the gearbox, remove the filter in order to gain access to the conductor plate.

Got the car back, been driving for 2 weeks, what a difference.

After reporting back to the mechanic he's finally told me what he's done, turns out that were quite a few errors diagnosed by STAR. He reset the gearbox to factory settings and it's so much more smoother and responsive. The car drives so well, best it's been since 10 year ownership.

Thanks

Now time to sort out the 19" BBS alloys, brake dust killer, ruined polished silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom