gearbox probs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chubbs111

Car
clk270cdi
hi guys major problems and need help please 1997 w202 c200 (5 speed auto)just driven 140 miles to manchester airport to collect son off his honeymoon drove fine going but coming back if it changed down a gear it held in that gear after about 100 miles it would barely do 50 mph when i pulled over to havea look it didnt want to pull away and it wouldnt change up the box i let it cool down and it was ok for about 2 miles then it was the same again aa recovered me off the motorway i waited for one and a half hours for the aa mechanic to say he couldnt help but he would follow me home about 2 miles and it went again it starts drives but its not changing gears but on the occasion it didchange there was no acceleration can anyone help please

hi guys major problems and need help please 1997 w202 c200 (5 speed auto)just driven 140 miles to manchester airport to collect son off his honeymoon drove fine going but coming back if it changed down a gear it held in that gear after about 100 miles it would barely do 50 mph

How on earth did the car know He was going on honeymoon? On the way there everything seems fine...on the way back...

A few options.
The gearbox is low on ATF,
The speed sensor is faulty,
The MAF is faulty.

Get the codes read.

A few options.
The gearbox is low on ATF,
The speed sensor is faulty,
The MAF is faulty.

Get the codes read.
i have topped the gearbox oil and it made no difference is there anyway i can check maf or speed sensor without star do i need star to read codes

You can check the MAF with a voltmeter.
Meter pin-5, WRT Gnd. expect ~2v at idle, rising to ~4.8v at full revs.

I dunno about your vauxhall, if you disconnect the MAF, switch the engine on and it runs rough then the MAF is the problem. You need to get the fault codes read to diagnose it properly though or you'll play a very expensive guessing game.

I dunno about your vauxhall, if you disconnect the MAF, switch the engine on and it runs rough then the MAF is the problem. You need to get the fault codes read to diagnose it properly though or you'll play a very expensive guessing game.
ive just changed plugs it started ok then after a minute it will not rev past 1500 im wondering if the noise i canhear from the rocker is a tappet

has it got electrics to box because if so the pilot bush are prone for leaking and this will make the brain do many funny things,when you read the codes this will show this.....very common problem as atf will leak as the seals of pilot bush perish and if left it will wick up the harness to the control box.......also you could try a tcm reset!

are you sure you have a gearbox problem because if you have a problem with the engine the box will play up as it reads info from engine...i.e mass air mass meter will send signal to tcm so gear box will function at best.

are you sure you have a gearbox problem because if you have a problem with the engine the box will play up as it reads info from engine...i.e mass air mass meter will send signal to tcm so gear box will function at best.
i thought it was a gearbox prob but as i worked down my thread i have said that it now appears to be an engine prob but i dont think theres anyone near me with a diagnostic machine

This is an engine problem, not a gearbox one. I suspect the MAF sensor or mechanical problem.

This is an engine problem, not a gearbox one. I suspect the MAF sensor or mechanical problem.

Sorry didnt read the out come but its gearbox elctro plate for sure, if it wont change up and it will go into limp mode and can only do 30mph to 50 mph max :doh:

Sorry didnt read the out come but its gearbox elctro plate for sure, if it wont change up and it will go into limp mode and can only do 30mph to 50 mph max :doh:
but with the gear box in park it will not rev

It's moved on a bit.

the engine has a noise, possibly just a tappet, but won't rev.

My best guess says MAF sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom