gearbox probs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flyer295

Car
Mercedes E 320
I've recently acquired a 2003 E320 petrol car

I'm not very happy with the gearbox performance. On start up there is often resistance to moving (as if the hand brake is partially engaged) Once I've overcome this it starts to move slowly in what appears to be 2nd gear. If I press down on the accelerator, even gently, it will kick down into 1st suddenly and with vicious acceleration I have to let off. This gives it a very jerky ride. After I've gone a short distance (100 mtrs or so) it gets better but then it will often hold in 3rd at 30-40 mph and revs at 3000 + rpm. I'm sure this can't be right. The fuel consumption accordingly is terrible 14 mpg'ish

I've checked the transmission oil level and it appears to be exceptionally high. It is well above the black plastic indicator and well onto the metal coils.
Could this be causing the erratic fault ?

Can anybody help ?

you should drain the oil and wash the contact plate with electric spray.another thing to check are solenoid valve wich are responsible for gear change.

It can cause lots of damage running with too much fluid. I would first get the codes read asap at a reliable indie and then, hopefully, a gearbox service will sort the problem.

Thanks for reply. I suspected this might be a problem. I have a code reader and initially it said wrong ratios ( or something like that) I cleared it and it's never come back.

Bob

I tried all these problems and it didn't cure it.

It appears that putting your foot down eg. going up a hill or accelerating quickly and taking the revs above 2000 causes the box to stay permanently in that gear and not change up. By stopping, turning the engine off and restarting it clears the problem. It also has a tendency after cruising for a while then slowing down or stopping to not have any gear at all. Again re starting it, clears it. It is dangerous to drive like this as you can suddenly have no drive in a awkward place eg bend or junction.

I think it's electrical/electronic. Anybody have any ideas ?

Sorry to read of your problems that's a bummer:eek:
I had a problem with the kick down and had to have it on MB Star to reset the gearbox, it's worked fine since.
Luckily it was all done under warranty.

Hope you have an easy fix like a reset, I have seen a (how to reset MB gearbox on you tube) but never tried it though as mine was under warranty

I would suspect the speed sensor/electroplate needs replacing, but you need to have the fault codes read to diagnose properly.
Do you have a decent MB indie nearby with Star (MB diagnostics)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom