Gearbox? Slightest hesitation when accelerating at 30mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JC180

Car
2010 Mecedes Benz C250 CGI Sport Auto Estate
My 53 Sept '03 build C180K has been giving a slight slip-wouldn't say judder-it just feels like it is decoupling on and off for a micro second at about 30 odd MPH much like I had gone over a rough patch of tarmac. It sometimes takes a small while to engage reverse and can judder a little when engaging drive and then pulling away straight away mostly first thing in the morning, any ideas?

I had my ATF changed 18 months ago at 85K now it has done 99K.

I have put 2 litres of oil in since the last service, now my oil level computer is goosed so I don't know my oil level, just as an aside!

Finally I have a BEHR radiator so no issues thank g-d with glycol contamination.

Cheers

Jacob

Last edited:
First thing check oil level in the gearbox.

Lynall

Thanks Lynall, trying to procure an ATF dipstick.

MB Inchcape Oxford have them listed just want to see whether my local Whitefield branch will sell me one.

as you have a 722.6* box, just get a curtain rod to measure the atf depth.

Ensure the box is hot, (needs to be a good 5 mile run 80c temps)
leave the car running, box in park
prise open the atf filler tube, insert curtain rod, withdraw and measure the depth

needs to be between 56mm and 65mm deep

Thanks Lynall, trying to procure an ATF dipstick.

MB Inchcape Oxford have them listed just want to see whether my local Whitefield branch will sell me one.
If you struggle with Whitefield then try Manchester Central. One of their lads posts on here sometimes (Gareth), Graham Adams and Mike Cahill (manager) have ordered loads of odd stuff for me over the years and might help you out.

Thanks everyone, I will try the curtain wire later, failing that I will try Man Central, Whitefields numbers were down today!

Seems like the box is a bit ponderous and is not fully locking a bit like a slipping clutch.

Could it be the rubber washer on the drive shaft that has worn, Ian Walker told me that it is close to replacement about 10k ago?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom