Gearbox went bang - Stuck in Aviemore

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Timster

Car
Currently Merc' Less.
Hi There.

my gearbox went bang - again - on my Daihatsu Fourtrak. I need to get it home to Edinburgh from Aviemore. REcovery companies are asking for big money. Can anyone help?

Cheers.

Tim.

Weigh the cost of leaving the car to be repaired locally against the cost of transport back to Edinburgh + repair. Daihatsu Fourtrak should be well within the scope ---nay expertise of many small country garages whose labour rates might come as a pleasant surprise. they may even be able to source a second hand box for you locally Just don't expect instant results the pace of life is a tad more gentle than the big city. Check out the local yellow pages.

Dicksons of Inverness are your nearest Daihatsu OFFICIAL DEALER T: 01463 712 800

You could try Dunecht Garage for parts 01330 860228
or
Overton Vehicle Dismantlers ( Aberdeen ) Aberdeen based breaker but deliver over Scotland on a regular basis

I would make informal local equiries first for recommendations..

Does your bank provide Green Flag etc. as part of your account perks ?

Phoned around a bit. Burnbrae Garage Perth want £45 + vat per hour and reckon approx 7hrs. Dont think they were too keen though.

Vehicle recovery Blair Atholl priced the job at £400 inclusive. Roddy on 01796 481221

If that's any help.

Has the box been making any noises, especially in 3rd gear. The Fourtrack boxes are famed for failing.

Hi all.

Thanks for the awesome responses. It's the 2nd time the box has gone in a year - not sure I can face doing it again so thinking about weighing it in just now.

Will let you know how I get on (when monday comes along!)

Dieselman - been sounding fine till there was a big bang- now theres horrible grinding in all gears, it's best in 4th at about 25mph. Seems to be less rattling!!

Yup - bearing indeed. Haven't looked yet to see what extent of damage is!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom