Gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baggie

Car
ML 270
Help needed! Any info please, 52 plate ML270, 106,000 mls, auto, when towing under load, keeps getting stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear, can't select manually, stopping and switching off seems to rectify but it comes back, any feedback please.

Check fluid level first. If OK get it a Star diagnostic, it could be a number of things.

Common issues are the electroplate / speed sensor / solenoids.

Check fluid level first. If OK get it a Star diagnostic, it could be a number of things.

Common issues are the electroplate / speed sensor / solenoids.

Do you think it will show up on a diagnostic even when the fault isn't happening? Only seems to happen when towing heavy load and gets a bit hotter.

It was recommended to me to fit a bigger external oil cooler for when towing with mine (original is built into bottom of rad) but I have not had any real problems as never tow more than 1500kg. Have done 400 miles non stop (apart from fuel) and temp stayed fairly normal.

Neil

Sounds like it's going into limp mode. Needs a proper diagnostic rather than guessing and throwing money/parts at it

I had a similar problem,(though not through towing) MB said once engine switched off fault won't show, so next time take straight to dealership leave engine on and they will plug it in. Eventually they decided mine was gearbox software problem, and reprogrammed it. Was still under warranty at the time so cost nothing, traded car in soon after.

Do you think it will show up on a diagnostic even when the fault isn't happening? Only seems to happen when towing heavy load and gets a bit hotter.

Yes, if it goes into limp mode then chances are it has logged a fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom