Gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianw48

Car
MERCEDES B200 CDI SE 2006, C180 coupe 2007
Hi all, my clc 180 Kompressor Auto, 2007 gave me concern today. When pulling away from a junction it wouldn't change up the box, just remained in the lower gear. Also it was in comfort mode and would not change to manuel or sport. I turned off ignition and restarted, every thing then worked as normal. I then drove 90 miles without a problem. Any suggestions / comments would be greatly appreciated.

Get the codes read, could be the electroplate and or sensors are on their way out. Fairly common issue

Hopefully it's indeed the electroplate.

Another common issue with the 5g box is that the pilot bush can link, which - if left for too long - can cause a drop in ATF level.

When were the ATF and filter last changed? On your car, it is due at 37,500 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. So on a 2007 car it should have done at least once. Do you know when?

Last edited:
On another note.... your car will have the M271 engine, which is prone to premature timing gear failure, which in turn can lead to terminal engine damage.

I suggest that you Google it and learn what the symptoms look like.

If you car behaves erratically, e.g. rough idle, or 'bag-of-nails' sound at startup, etc, switch-off the engine immediately and do not attempt to start it again. Then get the car recovered to a garage - with luck you'll have caught it before any valve-to-piston damage occurs.

Just something to keep in mind.

Yes get it on a star,the thing is sometimes these gearbox issues do not leave a fault,but best it is on a star,markjay is right the box needs to have had at least one ATF change with filter,you do not say the mileage,this could be a electroplate problem.

If you can find no record of an ATF change and service get it done ASAP , obviously getting the codes read will help, but quite often a gearbox service cures many ills.

Many thanks All

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom