gearboxed jumped into neutral from drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Car
C270 CDI (2004 w203)
While doing a u turn this am, my car (c180 yr2000 auto old shape) jumped into neutral (no drive) while still in D. I put the lever in N then back to D and all was well again.

Its done 120K and the box shifts sweet when warmed up - slight bit of slip from cold.

Anyone had this? There are no leaks at all and its never done this before.

We have had this before... it got progressively worse until the box had to be refurbished... We think it was down to the torque convertor..

of course it may just be something simple.. best to get the codes read and level checked.

Thanks

Can an indi do this or should I go to merc stealer?

I love driving this car and would have another, but I hope newer mercs are built better!

While doing a u turn this am, my car (c180 yr2000 auto old shape) jumped into neutral (no drive) while still in D. I put the lever in N then back to D and all was well again.

Its done 120K and the box shifts sweet when warmed up - slight bit of slip from cold.

Anyone had this? There are no leaks at all and its never done this before.

Take Margaret Thatcher's advice...

u turn if you want to

bit cryptic

Could just be worn engine mounts.

Lynall

how would that make it jump into neutral?

Allows excessive engine and gearbox movement which then pulls the rod to the gearbox into neutral whilst leaving the lever i the cab in drive.

Try a search i think Howard had a similiar problem on his clk430.

Try and see if it does it again doing the same u turn or similiar manouver.

Lynall

Check the gearbox oil level first.

Then the fault codes.

i had this on my W208 CLK. it was happening quite often, then I got the gearbox oil changed and it never happended again.

I like being right.

Glad it's sorted. Did you have a leak?

MB of York sorted it out but they didn't go into details so I don't know - not sure they bothered to check to be honest.

Could be that it was always low and evapouration over the years took it below min???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom