Gearrbox oil type

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

voyagix

Hi,

I have a C220D (T202) from 1998 with manual gearbox. I have read that the gearbox is the car weak point. In order to keep it in good shape, I plan try renew the gearbox oil. What type of oil should I use? I know I should use an ATF one. But which specification? Dexron IID, Mercon, Dexron III, MB 236.x? Is there a specific Mercedes grade recommanded?

Beside this, I still have 1 liter of ATF Dextron IID - Mercon. Could I mix it with the new gearbox oil I going to buy?

Thanks for the info.
Voyagix.

Go to the dealers and buy genuine MB oil, at least you will know you have the right oil and it will not be much dearer than from other suppliers. :cool:

yes lookskyward1 suggestion is correct. You'll pay a bit more but you'll be 100% sure.

I've just bought there 2 liter of ATF for my manual gearbox, I couldn't remember well how much it costed me...may be about 30-35 Euro.

You'll need about 1.7 liter (nominal value is 1.5 liter as per Haynes Manual).

Hi

Thanks,

I have done it and went to a MB dealer. I was told they could not sell me the gearbox oil as they get it in huge barrel. And following the guy I talk to, there was no indication on it about the oil type. I can hardly beleave it. I'll try another one.

Jean.

voyagix said:
Thanks,

I have done it and went to a MB dealer. I was told they could not sell me the gearbox oil as they get it in huge barrel. And following the guy I talk to, there was no indication on it about the oil type. I can hardly beleave it. I'll try another one.

Jean.

:mad: :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom