gearstick stuck in park postion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bampy525

Car
clk convertible
i have a clk230 w208 model automatic,ater starting up car ,it sometimes wont move from park to drive.can anybody advise on a possible cause/remedy:dk:

I would say possibly the brake light switch is playing up

Is this the "tip" gearbox? If so stick a pen down through the flap at the bottom of the selector gate this will release it. Don't know why it happens.

Its just above the dashboard lower trim on top of the brake pedal and i think they are about £20

Mine did this too after being left for 5 days over a cold weekend. Cold screwdriver in the flap did the trick and it has behaved ever since

Is this the "tip" gearbox? If so stick a pen down through the flap at the bottom of the selector gate this will release it. Don't know why it happens.

Thanks for the advise - I did use a pen and it released the Gear stick, but the problem has not gone away completely:

1. Once in drive or Reverse - the car works so I can now take it to a garage for servicing etc

but

2. The tiptronic function does not work, so will not select anything but D

3. If I then put the gearstick back in Parking possition it gets stuck again

Is there anything else I can do or what is faulty so I can advise my mechanic?

Thanks for the advise - I did use a pen and it released the Gear stick, but the problem has not gone away completely:

1. Once in drive or Reverse - the car works so I can now take it to a garage for servicing etc

but

2. The tiptronic function does not work, so will not select anything but D

3. If I then put the gearstick back in Parking possition it gets stuck again

Is there anything else I can do or what is faulty so I can advise my mechanic?
Hi Tracy,welcome to the forum,as the thread is over a year old perhaps you can tell us what model/year your car is,as you cant use the tip function(manual mode)sounds like your autobox could need an atf & filter change if it hasn't had one in the last 40,000miles or so?

Last edited:
Hi Tracy,welcome to the forum,as the thread is over a year old perhaps you can tell us what model/year your car is,as you cant use the tip function(manual mode)sounds like your autobox could need an atf & filter change if it hasn't had one in the last 40,000miles or so?

it is CLK 230 kompressor model 2000 (i think)
Yes it is automatic and tiptronic
And needs service badly - has not had its A service in more then 530 days ( I was working abroad etc and had not used the car much all that time)

total millage is low less then 50K

it is CLK 230 kompressor model 2000 (i think)
Yes it is automatic and tiptronic
And needs service badly - has not had its A service in more then 530 days ( I was working abroad etc and had not used the car much all that time)

total millage is low less then 50K
Sounds like it would benefit from a service/gearbox atf & filter change especially as you've been working abroad & the car i take it didn't move much why you were away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom