Gemballa 500SEC Wide Body at Barons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
Guide price is £3,000 - £4,000

This may be of interest to some

http://www.barons-auctions.com/details.php?lotpath=lots/SBZ4251.htm

Marc

From the literature:

Offered here is one such car, which was original ordered for Sheikh Abdulaziz Abdulrahman Hamad al-Thani of Qatar. Though 24 years old, the car is said to have covered just 40000km (24000 miles) from new, which is supported by every MoT certificate. The car was imported to the UK with just 10000km on the odometer.

Designed by W. Maurer, the car has the full Gemballa, wide body conversion with huge rear wheels, boxed arches, lowered suspension and engine modifications offered by Gemballa. Thought to be one of only a handful World-wide, this car is probably unique in the UK and offers a rare opportunity.

The vendor states that the car has suffered some damage to the firbreglass in a few areas and that the car failed its last MoT due to nothing more than illegal rear tyres. It is currently on SORN and without an MoT certificate, so is offered as recommissioning project.

Finished in metallic blue with contrasting blue leather interior, the car is reserved to sell. The only other example we can find currently for sale, is in the USA and is selling for over $40,000 US.

Attachments

• gemballa.jpg
    gemballa.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 669
The "cheap bling" numberplate and HKS sticker on the boot are ringing alarm bells.

Agreed, but no denying its rare (assuming of course its genuine).

Just in danger of being ruined.

I'm sure Talbir will have some info on this one , but something about it doesn't look right ....

At the end of the day £4K is way way less than $40K

for the difference you could have a lot done professionally and to your spec.

Horses's for courses I guess

They have now put a front view pic...

gemballa-new.jpg

I was going to go to the auction but now it looks like a shed.

Moreover.. studying some original gemballa conversions (there are a few pics around) this looks like a copy..

the wings are different, the finish and the lines are nowhere near...

This one looks barry compared to the real thing..

I could be wrong, this could just be an earlier version of the kit...

8_-1864508802.jpg

8_-1562517405.jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear...my suspicions appear to have been confirmed. Tacky mirrors, bodged mesh grille, the whole thing really does look rather nasty. I would have expected Gemballa to have done a better job of integrating the filler cap too.

Only the provenance can save this one, but if it is genuine the person responsible needs stringing up.

Baron's are the most amateurish of all the wannabe classic car auctioneers.

They leave the descriptions up to the vendor & consequently the decriptions are often woeful. Nobody with half a brain would let the seller enter that photograph in the catalogue - it looks like the car's covered in oil or some other ****.

The auctioneer has the HUGELY annoying practise of not only reading the catalogue description but adding his own comments (as if anyone who wasn't there to bid on a particular car was going to say "Wow, I think I'll buy that car after hearing the description") thus making for one of the slowest & most tedious auctions you have will ever attend.

Their estimates usually have no foundation in reality either.

Not saying you can't get a bargain or see some decent cars, just they're pretty much a PITA to deal with.

At the end of the day £4K is way way less than $40K

for the difference you could have a lot done professionally and to your spec.

Horses's for courses I guess

Well the difference is approx 19k GBP using a ROE of £1:$1.75.

£19k will never transform that car in the auction into the Gemballa i have bought below....which has a 6.9 litre engine, bespoke interior, bespoke dials, bespoke exhaust and was the press car for Gemballa !

talbir

Last edited:
Talbir... I have my doubts as to whether it really is a gemballa... what do you think?

Just look at the arches and the rear spoiler etc...

looks like knight rider inside

very 80's

stunning to look at but not overly keen on the interior

ive never heard of them but if i saw that comming up behind me id just pull over as it roars past

and i suppose its got very little electronics to impeed any fun you might want to have whilst driving it unlike new cars where they remove all the fun from driving

Talbir... I have my doubts as to whether it really is a gemballa... what do you think?

Just look at the arches and the rear spoiler etc...

I agree but it's so hard to say for sure without seeing it in the flesh - Gemballa usually added chassis plates to confirm the Gemballa tuning....maybe this car might have one....pic below of my Gemballa with it's plate.

I'd be surprised if ti was a replica kit - the way the wheels line up with the arch etc....it could be a genuine Gemballa in a sorry state. Rest assured it will cost SERIOUS dollar to put it back to scratch. And if the car has no special interior, is it worth it ?

£4k is a lot of money for an SEC on steroids.

talbir

Last edited:
Talbir ,what year is your black one?

The blue one at barons has a SEL bonnet, cannot see the point in that 'mod' myself, unless of course its been in a shunt before & has been repaired on the cheap with a SEL bonnet, hence the cheap, dull paint on the bonnet...

Is it possible thay could not colour match the bespoke paint???...Note, the paint on the rest of the car does not seem that bad.

Looks seriously S*ite to me, as the bodykit just looks very cheap and aftermarket, ie the way its got a clumpy look to it where it joins around the front indicators and the rear spoiler looks wrong and none of the mouldings have nice clean edges to them etc etc etc.

Knowing Barons they have not done much homework and as Neilrr states they will go along with anything the owner says and also in the process use blind bids to drive the price up

Saying that I suppose until its seen in the flesh and little tell tale clues or lack of them come to light its hard to say what the hell it is....

Talbir

Hats off to yours it looks awesome !!

Ok so 19K may not get the other one up to scratch but I still think for a lot less it could look ok.

I pretender though at the end of the day. Your looks like a mad max special.

Look forward to more pics :)

The kit looks totally different to the red one.... the sheddy blue one has 4 vents at the back, the red one has 3.. I cant see this on Talbirs minter. Also the front wing around the indicator looks different.... it might just be the colour....

It doesn't look right, however remebr that Gemballa are more like Koenig or Sbarro than AMG, in so much as you could have anything you like of your pockets are deep enough.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that it is what it's said to be, but I'd certainly like to see under the bonnet and inside and generally have a good root around it.

Many of these specials are exactly that...specials and a little bit odd.

Also the Barons car is an '84 which is a Gen I car, Talbir's looks like a late Gen II car. The Gemballa interpretation could have evolved with the facelift in '86.

Last edited:
The more I look at the images, the more it looks like a genuine conversion, sure it's tatty, and the major difference is the rear spoiler, but look at the lines of the arches, the vents the side skirts and I think it's correct, just an early model.

The grill change is a very Arab touch, the headlights have a USA spec look to them (not sure they are though)....this could be a money pit, but it could be a very rare vehicle in the way Talbirs "Tatty" 560E ex ELO/Geaorge Harrison W124 is.

That said, you can't polish a turd, and it would take more than £20K to get this looking as good as the one Talbir has just bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom