General question on MB 507d van engine..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

varioman

Car
nice one
Hi new member here and hopefully a new MB owner too.

I am looking at the 507d van from around 1990s, found one I like, seems to be in good condition, but someone advised me that the 70 horse power engine will be very noisy due to it revving fast and high. But I should look at the 611 (6 ton 111 horse power).

But I can't downrate the 611 to drive on my normal license. The 507 I can fairly easy.

I plan to drive long distance as it's more of a camper than city run about.

Can someone offer their advice on this? Will the 507d engine be that noisy and can I sound proof it successfully?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I used to drive a 307D pick-up (for a living) and day to day the noise wasn't so bad. Overnight hotshots on M-ways were worse by far, the monotonous diesel drone almost a torture. That though was driving absolutely flat out, foot flat on the mat for hour after hour after hour....
A mate had the same engine in a camper (but turbocharged) and I don't recall him complaining about the noise. A camper will have more wind noise than a pick-up I'd imagine so probably takes the edge of the drone. Driven a little more relaxedly than on a hotshot I'd guess it wont trouble you.

I can ask said friend his opinion for you if it really is a concern.

Last edited:
I used to drive a 307D ick-up (for a living) and day to day the noise wasn't so bad. Overnight hotshots on M-ways were worse by far, the monotonous diesel drone almost a torture. That though was driving absolutely flat out, foot flat on the mat for hour after hour after hour....
A mate had the same engine in a camper (but turbocharged) and I don't recall him complaining about the noise. A camper will have more wind noise than a pick-up I'd imagine so probably takes the edge of the drone. Driven a little more relaxedly than on a hotshot I'd guess it wont trouble you.

I can ask said friend his opinion for you if it really is a concern.

Ah yes, you had a 3 ton then, not so much weight for a 70hp engine?? Add 2 more ton though and that would surly be a lot more work for the engine? Meaning more noise?

Last edited:
Ah yes, you had a 3 ton then, not so much weight for a 70hp engine, add 2 more ton though and that would surly be a lot more work for the engine? Meaning more noise?

3.5 tonne gross and often enough running at full load. A lighter load didn't make that much difference to the noise as it was driven flat out at all times! Loaded to limit merely meant more prolonged use of the intermediate gears.
I only remember it being annoyingly noisy on overnighters on M-ways - as much due to me having already worked all day and then driving all night and then turnaround and come straight back with no more than a few hours sleep (if that). Always worse at night - a mixture of less external traffic noise and perception.

Yeah interesting.

I love this particular 507d van, and I can downrate it so it's ideal.
Would sound proofing work in this van do you know?

There is an insulated removable (for engine access) cover over the engine (307) so if the 507 is the same you could possibly add more to its underside - or throw a blanket over it!

I doubt the noise in a gently driven camper will be on a par with a hard driven pick-up. To put it in perspective, it was driving that truck day in day out that gave me the faith in MB absolute unburstability. The heater motor is its only weak point!

So....I had a 508D for some 12 years as my Market Van. ( 508 is 80 hp.) It was super reliable, wind up the fast running knob, hit the button and away it went. Day after day for hundreds of thousands of miles.
As noise goes it was noisy inside the cab as the engine is by your knees and as your 70hp has to work harder it will be very noisy. Always the kingpin trunnions were seizing up and I had to disconnect the track rod ends and then heat up and oil the trunnions to free them off and then fill them up with grease . At the end of my time with her the rot was setting in quite badly and the Tester at the Ministry kindly told me it was the last year she would get passed without a lot of welding underneath. That was in 2003 and then I got my Sprinter, so if you have found a rust free version good luck to you.
Have you ever downplated a vehicle before??? It is not so easy, and in this instance your best advice will come from the local Ministry Testing Station and they will advise what you need to do. It can be expensive and also a lot of work and in particular you will have to drop out the rear leaf springs and replace them with 3 leaves instead of 5.Which I can assure you is no easy job.
You will be downplating from 5 1/4 tonnes down to 3 1/2 tonnes and that will leave you with a vehicle with very little carrying capacity. I cannot remember what the unladen weight of these are now, but the vans are very heavy. Also the fuel consumption is not very good just because of the vehicles weight. Compared to the 508 the 507 was always a poor second for Market Traders because of the 70 hp meant very slow and noisy progress. The 4 pot engines are very agricultural, the 6 cylinder are better but those only available on something like a 608
So after my unhelpful opinions why not consider a 3 1/2 tonne Sprinter. My old 312 has been an exceptional van. Quieter, better fuel consumption, easier to drive, a totally different driving experience and if you look around you will find something you can use for a campervan and have no worries about downplating it. Again though you will have job to find one that is rust free, my old girl is getting very rusty now and had to be welded last year for the MOT.
Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom