General W202 (Komp or V6) buying advise required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
I considering buying either a C230K (auto or man) or a C280, Sport versions ideally. I've been having a scout around on and off for a few weeks and really can't decide which to go hunting for. Now I've owned W202's , a 180 & a 200 and both had the usual spots of rust and between them they suffered a failed Coil, MAF & SAM unit. So, I'm aware of the 'common' potential problems on those basic four pots but I'm not up to speed on the Komp or the V6 especially as either will more than likely have 80-120k miles on them.

Practical advise on either would be warmly welcome. Or more importantly what to avoid buying.

Thanks in advance.

JJJ.

There's nothing in particular that goes wrong on a V6 except maybe the harmonic balancer, but that isn't that expensive anyway. I'd say the previous owners' lack of maintenance would be the biggest issue.

C230K is probably the most solid petrol engine in the W202 and also the fastest. It isn't as refined as the 280, but its a more 'fun' engine and consumes slightly less petrol.

280 for smoothness and very linear (and in my opinion, boring) power delivery, or the 230k for a bit of a laugh and also a very potent engine.

Hi I've had both defiantly would go for v6 sounds great when revved.c230 more harsh and needs to revved more if your want cruising c280 and quick when floored

Thank you all for the comments.

Now I know I'd be be happy with either car but so far can't find a suitable 280, so I've made an offer on a 230k which I'm happy about - never had a s/charger engine before, also it's manual (which seems like a good combo?). Fingers crossed we can do a deal today and it's not a pup!

Thanks again.

JJJ.

^ did you get one in the end ?

^ did you get one in the end ?

Thanks for asking. Indeed I did, a C230K , well I'm actually collecting it on Thursday - I'm like a kid at the moment, can't wait ;)

I've opened a thread on the car late last night with a photo attched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom